1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks, housekeeping staff!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Feb 13, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He's just not here with me.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not even that you're paying for housekeeping.
    I'm confused by people who are uncomfortable with the idea of other people in the room,
    It's a hotel. The entire concept is based around other people in the room.
    There were other people in the room before you got there. Other people will be in the room after you leave.
    It's a hotel.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think the discomfort doesn't arise from those before or those who will follow. But while you have your stuff in the room, you don't necessarily want people in there.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Couldn't tell. Couldn't get her to staff laughing. Only thing she said was "piqueno" or something like that. Don't know what that means... [/i'll never tell] ;D

My greatest pet peeve is the 8 a.m. knock on the door from housekeeping, overriding your 'Do Not Disturb' sign. I tend to get surly with them, feel guilty about it later ('man, they're just trying to get their job done...'), leave bigger tips. It might be a scam.

5. busuncle

busuncle Member

Small increments of cash left on the table are usually intended as tips for the housekeeper.

Maybe you should have apologized to the maid for accusing her of stealing.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I just got to this thread and after the first post was going to post that, should have figured you'd beat me to it.

"I like to be able swoosh the covers all around... like my feet pointed up the air."

Love that they brought that back later and he pulled his hamstring from sleeping the bed with the covers tucked in too tight.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

... And that's the window, I open it and it let's air in. And that's the thermostat and it changes the temperature of the room. Thanks, I think I got it. [/Larry David]

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.

The beauty of staying in a hotel room is: you get out of bed, don't make it, have a shower, leave your wet towels lying around and when you get back, your bed is made and you have fresh towels, a clean bathroom and all those beer cans are gone.

That's what makes a hotel a hotel.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No they're not. Things left on the table such as cash, watches, rings are not intended for the housekeeper.

You either leave her a tip in an envelope or give it to her personally.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You'd think that would make sense, but when you're making $5.15 per hour and you see lunch laying on the table, it's easy enough to get yourself to think that it's a "tip."

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Who travels with envelopes?

I put it on the TV or something, or make sure everything else is off a table so it doesn't just look like I cleaned out my purse and forgot to put stuff back in.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Exactly. Except for the part about a purse.

Draft saved Draft deleted