1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks, housekeeping staff!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am sure housekeeping in a hotel is bad, but what about the people that clean bathrooms in sports stadiums in America? That has to be an awful job.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Smasher, I always tip as well. Same money is sitting on the TV that was sitting there on Monday morning.

And I haven't called housekeeping once, because they're gone by the time I get back to my room. All of my calls have gone to the front desk, and the only person on staff at that time. When the lady brought up my towels last night (leaving the phone unmanned, of course, had someone else had problems), she said in my "room log" it had that I had called down the night before as well.

This is a Marriott, and one of the suites places too. Not like I'm shacking up at the Days Inn and complaining about not getting a mint.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, but I figure the difference is if you're cleaning the stadium shitter, you can stand back and blast away with the high-powered hose and disinfectant. The hotel thing is more personal where you actually have to pick up the soggy towels and grab the empty beer cans that people were using as ashtrays. Plus all the crusts left behind in the pizza box. That gives me the creeps. If I had to clean the hotel rooms of strangers, I'd wear one of those decontamination suits they wear at nuclear reactors.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ma'am, I'm sure you're quite generous. The tipping advice was offered generally for travelers who may not be taking care of the maids right now.

Your current situation seems to be one that will only be resolved by a change of hotels, or a really nice apology gift from the corporate office when you complain.

(BTW, the only mint I ever got at a Day's Inn was a green Tic Tac that evidently the maid lost when she shifted her cigarette. Still had some flavor coating on it, though).

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In most of my hotel travels, I take it upon myself to grab my dirty towels and throw them in the little wheeled hamper the housecleaning people push around. Then I just grab a few clean ones off the top and I'm happy. I'm not always real keen about having someone cleaning my room while I'm not there.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

1. Raise holy hell with manager.

2. Never stay there again.

3. Tell us which hotel this is so we never make the mistake of staying there.

Always, always, always call the front desk and demand they send somebody up to clean your room if it hasn't been done by 3 p.m. Even if it's 10 p.m. and you've been out all day.

I've never had housekeeping knock on my door when I've had a Do Not Disturb sign on the door, even on a check-out day, but if I walk into my room any time after 3 p.m. and it hasn't been cleaned, I call the front desk and tell them to send somebody up immediately. You're paying good money for a hotel room, one of the things that goes with the price is housekeeping. If they haven't cleaned your room they aren't doing their job.

The caveat to that is, if you leave the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and they don't clean it, it's your own damn fault. In that case, call down, tell the front desk you're an idiot and left the DND sign on the door and can they please send somebody up to clean the room, or at least send up some clean towels.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Back when we were in high school, we had a convention for some club I was in, and we were staying in a Sheraton. Well, the girls' room had sheets that were, well, not washed. So Smasher's right. I can only imagine the stuff that they find in those rooms, bodies included.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So, IJAG, how exactly did that bed get so messy? ;)

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Sadly, BBAM, only half the bed got ruffled. It's the lonely life I lead. :(

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

do you tip housekeeping when you check out? that's what we do. i'm wondering if it's better to leave a few bucks each day for the person cleaning the room that day to take.

fwiw, i can't understand people who don't want housekeeping in a hotel. i get it if you're sleeping at the time they come but to those who don't like the idea of someone in the room while you're gone, you realize you're paying for housekeeping, right? it's like going to a restaurant and asking if you can carry the food yourself from the kitchen to the table, get up every time you need water and ring up your total yourself. the cost of housekeeping is built in to the room rate.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I leave a little bit every day, usually, because different people might work different days.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted