1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks, Dad -- your kid Jay (Mariotti)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JuneBug1, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't believe being "consistently inconsistent" is one of the position's basic precepts . . .

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Yes, but I would hope most parents know the difference between a situation in which their help would be, well, helpful and a situation they should just stay out of, understanding that not doing so would further embarrass the person they want to protect and defend.

If parents fight all their children's battles for them, they'll never learn to take care of themselves, and they'll end up becoming whiny 40-somethings who avoid dealing with issues head-on as adults learn to do. I think that's what we're seeing here.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn, I think you might've gotten this right on the head. :D

My parents would have NEVER done that "for" me when I was a kid, let alone now that I'm (supposed to be) an adult. Mostly out of a fear of embarassing themselves for starters, but also because they raised me to be a big boy and to take care of myself. In this life, if you haven't been publicly criticized by other people, then you haven't been doing this long enough. That's just a fact. There's always going to be somebody with something nasty to say -- you learn to deal with it.

Most importantly, you learn how to deal with each individual situation. Sometimes there's a time to ignore it, sometimes there's a time to confront it, sometimes there's a time to just take it, sometimes there's a time to respond intelligently to it, sometimes there's a time to actually listen to it. Hopefully, you learn how to deal with it with a little class and dignity and respect. Mariotti has not learned this -- which is a shame, because he's been at it long enough to know better.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm just happy I didn't have to cover little Jay as a Little League player. Dad would've ripped my ass, no doubt.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You think he played sports as a little munster, do ya?

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Good point. I would assume young Jay ripped the Little League coach for not pitching Little Jimmy on one day of rest when Butler got knocked out of its bracket, and then he took on the Butler LL president, writing that he hadn't done enough to improve the T-ball feeder system. Bottom line-it was time for both to be fired.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Mariotti Pere underscores all that's wrong with how children are being raised.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A young Jay played youth sports, but even then he refused to go into the locker room after a game.

9. The Rich Couple was going out for the evening when the Lady of the House gave the Butler, Geno the rest of the night off. She said that she and her husband would be home very late that evening and that Geno should enjoy the rest of evening.

Well, as it turned out the Wife wasn't having a good time at the party and came home early. As she walked into the house she sees Geno sitting in the dining room. She calls for him and tells him to follow her to the Master Bedroom. She closes it and locks the door, she looks at him and smiles ... then she says ...

Geno, "Take off my Dress" ...

He does it carefully ..

Geno, "Take off my Stockings and Garter" ...

He silently obeys her ...

Geno, "Remove my Bra and Panties" ...

As Geno does this the tension continues to mount.
    She looks at him ... "Geno, If I ever catch you wearing my clothes again you're fired!"

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet he was one of those kids who took a shower wearing his tighty whities after PE class.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My first thought when I read it was, "Wait, Mariotti still writes whatever he wants in his column. He's got his freedom of speech." Very weak -- and wrong -- argument by his dad.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I like how daddy chides the letter-writers for being biased because they are White Sox fans, while conveniently overlooking his own bias.

Draft saved Draft deleted