1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks, Dad -- your kid Jay (Mariotti)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JuneBug1, Jun 25, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You're assuming that it's not a generally interesting story. And a local tie to a national story? You greenlight that puppy if you use your news judgment and not your personal judgment.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Isn't there some kind of computer program that can compare writing styles, i.e. a sample of son's writing vs. this letter written by dad (and pretty well written, it seems), to see if there's a match?

Just askin' ;D

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Or one that can analyze text and determine pompadour height of author ?

[​IMG]

"We're gonna rock this town, rock it inside out..."

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"Freedom of speech is a precious right afford by the First Amendment of the Constitution. It seems to me that Jay Mariotti's "freedom of speech" is violated here, when he is viciously attacked with slurs and innuendo, by one who becomes violent, when he, himself, becomes the subject of a person being out of control."

Some people need to realize freedom of speech does NOT mean trying to restrict others from that same freedom.

And no, I am not siding with Mr. Mariotti. Maybe Jay needs to grow some nuts and not threaten to sue or beat people with the Constitution whenever he gets a negative response.

Fucking idiot.

Also, the Butler jokes are lame. Just thought I'd mention it.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Simply for contextual purposes, I know they've got Joe Starkey as one of their local columnists, but does the Trib run Mariotti's stuff in syndication?

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Was this ghostwritten by the AYM ? This reeks of a higher-level provocateur.

7. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

What governmental entity does daddy Mariotti think is violating his little boy's 1st Amendment rights?

The White Sox and MLB are private enterprise and not subject to the first amendment. Daddy Mariotti needs some civics lessons.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This thread seemed the most appropriate place for this:

Update at http://www.wenalway.com.

9. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

Ehh...lay off him. Jay's dad isn't a public figure. He's just proud.

I'm sure all of us would go to bat for our kids about almost anything.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He's also obviously clueless about the Constitution.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If Daddy Mariotti is proud of Jay's body of work, that explains a lot right there.

12. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

No one dragged Daddy Mariotti into this, he did it himself by submitting that letter to the Pittsburgh newspapers.

He should now be fair game.

He had no problem telling Chicago fans "what a columnist job is and how it works."   So it's fair game to explain to him that "freedom of speech" applies to government intervention.

Draft saved Draft deleted