1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not anymore, apparently.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Looks like AP has thrown in the towel when it comes to separate capsules for the AL and NL...now just haphazardly thrown in by when they get them done it looks like. Not even an Interleague tag for such games.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Happy to see a SF_Express-started thread.

AL, NL, or mixed, just wish they wouldn't wait until every game was completed before moving them. Yet, it's happened a couple of times.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Makes no sense to move separate caps anymore, with so much interleague.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Actually, it was the reason I picked this thread. :)

There was one Interleague game tonight. And they switched it mid-season. It's annoying since I was searching and searching for "AL_Capsules" and nothing was showing up. Finally just did a "capsules" search and saw this. Dumb IMO.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I started mixing them up for quite a few reasons when it went to all-interleague, all the time. First, of course, space. Second, to me it was easier. I don't think anyone separated the AFC and NFC in football roundups, do they?

7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Well, we (meaning my old shop) used to split up AFC and NFC ... to what value I don't know.

I'm more infuriated by AP's attempt to be conversational/casual in tone/just-plain-fucking-stupid ... . Case in point: There was a story on the regional news wire this week that included some numbers. The story referred to "about 20 percent of the workers," and later the story gave the actual numbers -- which were easily calculated to be EXACTLY 20 percent. Did the dumbfuck writer (or dumberfuck editor) think that if "20 percent" -- without a qualifier such as "about" -- were used, it would intimidate readers?

... and there's all sorts of examples of using phrases such as "three football fields long," or "twice the width of an SUV," etc. Just tell us the numbers. The readers aren't as afraid of them as you are, AP.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I never could get through to the agate desk in NYC tonight to tell them that NHL team in the Transactions is the Forida Panthers, not the Carolina Panthers ...

9. mb

mb Active Member

20 minutes after the box moved, no Rockies-Brewers gamer. You're the best, The AP.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

New global sports editor and deputy sports editor. I'm sure there will be more changes coming going forward.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I did for a while because the 13 and 14-game roundups were getting awfully long and grey (even at 3-4 paragraphs per game). Spreading them into 2 and sometimes 3 (if there were enough interconference games) allowed me to break the stuff up into smallet text blobs, get more headlines and photos on the page, etc.

12. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Thanks folks! Very nice discussion with a lot of great points!

Draft saved Draft deleted