1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree, HanSen. And Dunkin’ Donuts are overrated.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"The French" is amusing folks on Twitter.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So people experiencing Frenchness?

Batman likes this.
  4. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

From an AP story Monday:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana Pacers center Myles Turner grew tedious of the semiannual trade rumors.

Good God! Learn how to use the fucking language. Turner didn't grow tedious; the rumors grew tedious.

I don't mind the human slip-ups or the mistakes arising from being pulled in too many directions at once.

But this type of horseshit? Completely preventable. Inexcusable ... especially for a guy who's been an AP "writer" for decades.

The language is a tool used to convey information and tell stories. Learn how to use it properly. If you were a carpenter, you'd be trying to pound in a nail with a fucking pipe wrench.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Missed this.

And ... Boone goes the NBA.

Batman likes this.
  6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Thanks for the heads up!

a2695 ----- u v bx BC-LOT--Lottery Results Agate Advisory (AP 2-6-2023 09:00 CST)
    NEWS EDITORS
    The Associated Press will discontinue delivery of lottery results for all state and multi-state lotteries effective February 1, 2023. The last results will move on the night of Tuesday, January 31, 2023.
    AP arrived at this decision after audits determined declining usage of this content among customers of all sizes and formats. Meanwhile, the cost of maintaining this content was set to significantly increase in the coming year. We are letting you know about this change now to ensure sufficient time if adjustments are necessary.
    Please direct any questions regarding this change to Barry Bedlan at bbedlan(at)ap.org.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m half convinced the news department in Marianna would have gone home for good at supper time every day if it wasn’t for the necessity of holding Page 2 for the evening Florida Lottery numbers. (Sports got to send out the last page at 9:30 Central. How was I to know we were trend-setters back in 2000?)

Batman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We used to have to do that too, on Friday and Saturday night. It wasn't a big deal on high school football Fridays when we were going to be late anyway, or even when we were waiting on college football on Saturday night. But during the summer or when all of the games were in the afternoon, and we could have checked out by 7 or 8 p.m. but couldn't because the f'n lottery numbers didn't move until 10, it was annoying as hell.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When I was in Arizona, they'd announce the lottery numbers on the 10 p.m. news. We'd stop everything around 10:15 or so, get the numbers and plug them in. Had a little scare during the Olympics, but the station put the numbers on a crawl at the bottom of the screen.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My mom is pissed now that her papers don’t include the previous night’s lottery numbers. (She might be a gambling addict.) I tried to explain it to her, but she wasn’t having it.

Here the TV stations used to BID on the rights to air the lottery drawings. The rights moved around every few years because stations saw that as a guaranteed audience. Now I think they might put up a card with the numbers sometime in the 11 p.m. newscast and that’s it.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Why is the cost significantly increasing?

My responsibilities include writing short stories four nights a week on the lottery drawings. I get the information from the state lottery's website and the games' website.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

When I ran the desk when we still paginated, lotto was the last thing in. It usually moved at 10:20 p.m. right about the end of the Brian Williams A-block, and 5 minutes later I was at the bar. We smarted up and got it straight from the lotto website. We didn't wait for AP.

Draft saved Draft deleted