1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Like Henry and SoCalDude said, it's not just the abbreviation. It's that it gets listed under the "U's" on the scores list. Plus, it just feels wrong on first reference. I have no problem abbreviating it for a headline, or using it in a story on second reference, but on first reference (which an agate list more or less is), it should be spelled out.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Be glad you don't have to deal with Conference USA on a regular basis.
    UCF.
    UTEP.
    SMU.
    USM (for Southern Miss).
    UAB.
    All in a conference that's often abbreviated to C-USA, which should probably stand for Conference of Useless, Silly Acronyms. Hell, three or four times a year we get the Acronym Bowl between UTEP and SMU, or UAB vs. UCF.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Because when I hear somebody say it, I think, "Yukon doesn't have a basketball team."

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Really? I always think of the school when I hear it.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What about TCU? And like someone posted, all the schools in CUSA?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In general, if a school has a two-word or longer name (like UNLV, TCU, SMU, UAB, UTEP), that deserves an acronym. There's a need there. It also depends on regional preferences. Here in the south, LSU gets an acronym because everyone does know what it means and that's what everybody calls it. But in Connecticut, I could understand if a sports editor bitched about it and preferred to switch it to Louisiana State.
    Maybe I'm being irrational on this. It just seems like a one-word state school doesn't need the acronym treatment. It also feels like "UConn" is a nickname, and not a sensible acronym like TCU or UTEP are.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So, could I get away with calling it an initial battle?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I only use Pennsylvania State.

9. I hate it when I see UCF or USF in agate or TV sports. I'm in Indiana. I know those are Central Florida and South Florida, but I'm guessing a large percentage of my readers have no clue. I know these schools are trying to make the acronyms stick, but I wish the AP would just go with their full names.

I'm OK with UCLA, UNLV, TCU and BYU and probably SMU, too. Spell out the rest of 'em.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I was told that AP got new software and that is making the scorelines all CAPS in the roundups. They received several complaints and are working to fix it. (It's early here, I'm still tired, and so I'll let the rest of you come up with the snarky replies.)

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The university requested media drop the periods 10-15 years ago. Some did, some didn't (including my former employer, a daily in an ACC town). IIRC, AP calls it North Carolina State on first reference.

12. CC Sabathia says cool.

I'm waiting for a pro athlete to request AP use all caps for his first name.

Draft saved Draft deleted