1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty bad.

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Can someone explain the point of the summaries they've started to add to the articles on Newsroom? I find them highly annoying.

Batman likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ummm, I believe they went in 2014

Ole Miss blanks Southern Miss 5-0, ends 50-year CWS drought
    BC-BBC--Southern Miss-Mississippi
    Jun 12, 2022 6:11 PM - 280 words
    Eds: UPDATES: With AP Photos.
    HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — Hunter Elliott struck out 10 in 7 1/3 shutout inniings, Jacob Gonzalez drove in the first run with an infield hit and Mississippi won the Hattiesburg Super Regional with a 5-0 victory over No. 11 overall seed Southern Mississippi on Sunday to advance to the College World Series.
    Ole Miss (37-22) didn't allow a run in sweeping Southern Miss (47-19), beating the Golden Eagles 10-0 on Saturday. The Rebels, who will appear in their sixth CWS, ended a 50-year drought with the victory.

4. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

For broadcast clients and also for those reading apps that use Alexa and Siri.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Good job AP, reporting about Washington DC's -- withdrawl -- from the World Cup bidding process

6. JPsT

JPsT Member

You can't fire me, I quit!

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I know the AP is strapped like so many other media organizations, but they do so much self-inflicted stupid shit that's a pain the ass for the members paying for it.

Their photo cutlines are filled with word salad and extraneous bullshit. So are their headlines. I know they're not written, necessarily, to be placed on a page, and I always expect to re-write regardless, but some of them are laughably long, even if just intended for the web.

Re-designed agate over the recent years is a total mess. Dumb shit like a tab between the ranking and the name in golf rankings. Or, no tabs at all where there should be one for other sports. Why?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Happy weekend!

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We've given the AP a lot of grief, so I also feel obligated to give them a kudos when it's warranted. Their coverage of the College World Series was excellent. The stories moved within about 15 minutes of the game ending, and the writethrus with quotes were typically on the wire within an hour. Plenty of photos from each game, too. AP writer Eric Olson had the bylines for the stories.
    The regional and super regional games got the robo-writer treatment, so I was worried they'd do the same with the CWS. It was the exact opposite. Nothing but solid game stories moved in a timely fashion. So, truly and non-snarkily for once, thanks, AP.

Jesus_Muscatel and playthrough like this.
  10. I am on 10 minutes and counting of scrolling through replies and searching for this video.

11. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Today's TV SportsWatch lists tomorrow's Wimbledon men's singles final as Norrie vs. Djokovic, which was Friday's semifinal.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Was it Eric Olsen? He's been with the AP for a while, formerly of the World-Herald. He's very good.

Draft saved Draft deleted