1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Reuters sports content is such a waste of time. Although I guess it beats nothing.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whoever is programming the robots writing the AP college basketball briefs, please note that it is the SouthwestERN Athletic Conference.
    The Southwest Athletic Conference, to my knowledge, was never a thing and the Southwest Conference ceased to exist in 1995 and never included any of the teams you seem to think currently play in it.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe the robots were programmed by SWAC SIDs.

Batman likes this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Missed this last week: AP has given up on people getting "flier" right. The new stylebook says use FLYER for handbills, people on airplanes ... just about everything.

Also, as you'll notice below, they've changed the rules on "they" in the stylebook. As someone who's corrected these for years, all I can say is the terrorists have won.

Link: AP Definitive Source | Making a case for a singular ‘they’

HandsomeHarley likes this.
  5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Would this be to save a reporter's ass in a "gender bending" situation perhaps?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Have they changed the rules on numbers as well?
    I noticed a lot of instances in the college basketball stories this weekend where they used a numeral when it should have been spelled out. Too many for it to be a coincidence or sloppiness.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't know if they have, but it drives me insane.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ding, ding!

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice this missive on the AP wire from a few weeks ago?
    How did the coverage vary from state to state, and are they right? All we ever got was briefs on each game.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I don't recall AP ever covering anything but championship games for high school. But I cover college 90 percent of the time, so I'm not as clued in on what they're doing with preps.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Weird. Every paper I have ever been at used at least the small brief, if the school was just outside our coverage area we used the full game story...but usually never a photo.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've always run the high school championship stories. I think that was just AP's way of cutting stuff they didn't want to do with less staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted