1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That Henry didn't start this thread is the upset of the day.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

(bump)

Uh, about that writhethru of the story about Fresno State's new football coach you promised you'd send out after the newser? We're doing it right now with a bunch of quotes from the university release, so I knew the newser was hours ago when I called. Pardon me for thinking my readers were entitled to more than a 3-inch story, padded with information from government radio.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm pretty serene about the ol' A&P these days, but I will note that bowl season is about to begin.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I was happy to get the scoring summary of a 1999 game between the Bengals and Ravens. Been waiting a while on that one.

5. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

Does anyone know why the AP went with ALLCAPS all of a sudden for the scorelines in all of their hockey, college football and college hoop roundups?

Now I have to change them all back and if I wanted ALL CAPS, I have that option in QuarkXpress.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'd like to know too. Alas, I have InDesign.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm going looney over some of their new style decisions on college names.
    North Carolina State has become NC State (which changes to NC St. and looks weird when you change all the other "States" to "St." for space and style purposes).
    Connecticut has become "UConn" in all the glances. Yeah, most people know what it means. Yeah, I'll sometimes change it anyway if the line or headline is too long. But it's still annoying.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I spend time at the start of the football season to set up schedule pages with "UConn" in its correct spot as "Connecticut," Florida in its proper spot ahead of "FAU" and "FIU," Northern Illinois (N. Illinois) properly alphabetized and so forth. Not to mention changing "Mississippi" to "Ole Miss," and then putting it in the proper spot in the O's.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If they're going by proper AP style, shouldn't it be N.C. State?

And I hate when they abbreviate Northern or any other directional name in things like the TV schedule.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I got bugged with the college football logs that some of these mid-majors are now using only initials -- UCF (Central Florida alphabetized in the U's), USF (South Florida, alphabetized in the U's. USF is San Francisco, anyway). UConn in the U's. We use initials for UCLA, USC, UNLV and BYU. And usually TCU and SMU. Spell out the rest of 'em.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

What's wrong with UConn?

Fits better, everyone knows what it means.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I do give the AP credit for finding carrier pigeons a) willing to work in the Manitoba cold and b) capable of transmitting a Jets flash from Winnipeg to the AP newsroom in just over a half-hour. Impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted