1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks a lot ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Put it on the scroll at the bottom of the game and if people want to switch over, they can.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There's a World Series hero or two every year.
    This year's final day was neat, but there's a pennant race every year.
    There's an NBA Finals every year.
    There's a Super Bowl every year.
    I'll give you the Bruins.
    There's an upstart in the NCAAs every year, though not to the extent of VCU last year.
    Wow, a great finish in a college football game between two teams that have no shot at the national title? Stunning.

In any event, only 40 to go.

Come on. Why is there such a rush to dismiss 903? OK, I know why, the intersection of Coach K and ESPN and all that. But this is a stretch.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I think it's more important that Coach K won national championships in three different decades (well, sort of).

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its a three year old record, and he's the third holder of this thing in 14 years. BFD.

Blowing Coach K on just one channel is quite enough.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think you need to go back to the column I quoted, where the writer said "we finally experienced authentic greatness" -- as in, like, the first time ever?!?!?! -- and it was "an achievement that actually meets our desire to experience events, sporting and otherwise, that we can rank among the most important of all time."

If you want to quibble with whether it is one of the top 50 sporting events of the year, fine. Maybe I am guilty of hyperbole (though any of the examples I cited, people would remember those far more than they'll remember this).

To act like this is some event of great cosmic sports significance -- "most important of all time" -- you must be emotionally beholden to either Coach K or the columnist.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The NFL lockout ending was a bigger deal than this.

7. Piotr Rasputin

And for you to dismiss it, you must be emotionally beholden to, um . . .hating COACH K!!!!!!!

See how dumb that sounds?

"most important of all time"

You just let me know where I used those words.

I disagree with "the columnist's" column. But I also am in disbelief at the complete dismissal of this. Yes, it has been broken three times in the last 14 years; that's what haopopens when a lot of great coaches are contemporaries. But I wonder when it would be broken again, especially considering the fact Cryzewsky has a few years to go before retirement.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh, all this shit is priceless! I'm laughing my ass off reading these comments.

To be fair, I suppose it IS Coach K's 903rd win. This coming from a longtime Duke hater all the way back to the 1980s.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As with any of these stupid "records" and "milestones" in the espn era, the game inflation is never mentioned. In Wooden's first championship year, UCLA played 30 games. Coach K's latest championship team played 40.

BFD, these "records" are for the braindead.

10. LongTimeListener

The columnist used those words. You argued with my take about the columnist. I repeated those words from the columnist. Those are the words he used, and the point I posted about. We are debating something that you don't seem to know exists.

If the record stands forever and ever, it won't even matter. This isn't Pete Rose beating Ty Cobb, you know.

11. Piotr Rasputin

This was all I argued with:

12. LongTimeListener

I am starting to think this is your veiled sarcasm, because I can't think of a reason this would have gone on for so long otherwise. But, anyway, probably far enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted