1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks a lot ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

ESPN isn't the only one who does this. The networks do it too for various sports, such as NASCAR, where you'll see FOX promo the race starting at 2 p.m., when in reality, it starts at 4. They just want you to watch the two-hour prerace show.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The players are there for no more than four years and, in the case of the best ones, often for much less than that. The coaches are the constants. That's why they get hyped.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is the same network that had Rick Reilly doing color commentary during the Texas game yesterday. If you caught any of that, my heart goes out to you. It was absolutely horrible. I'm not doing the awfulness of it enough justice. Heck I only had the game on as background sound while I was reading, and I STILL had to turn it off.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just want to watch the games and not watch the endless ceremonies that go along with breaking a record like this. Thank goodness I have DirecTV and access to ESPN3.com.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How old is the record?

I covered the NCAA Tournament game when Dean Smith broke the record and it seemed to have a hell of a lot less hype than this one did.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Smith retired with the record in 1997 and Knight retired with it in 2008. So it was three years old.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit about the record. For other channels to leave their games to cover it is asinine, if it was already on ESPN Uno.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they flip to the game for the final seconds to show the ending and less than 60 seconds of the celebrating, I don't have a problem with that. It's sort of like what they do on Sundays with the NFL.

Anything beyond that, and I agree it becomes a "if I wanted to watch that game, I'd be watching that game" issue...

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Games happen every single day, every year. Same thing, all the time. There are close games and blowouts, and great matchups and crappy matchups. Someone is Player of the Year, someone wins the title, someone has an unexpected NCAA Tourney run. Every season is virtually the same, just with some names changed.

This is actually something different and interesting. I don't get how anyone can paint 903 wins as anything other than newsworthy and unique.

Cool.

Name them, then.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't want to bore anybody, but in two minutes, here's 10 ...

--David Freese's triple
    --David Freese's home run
    --Last night of baseball's regular season, capped by Longoria's home run
    --Carpenter shuts out Phillies
    --Mavs beat LeBron
    --Packers win Super Bowl
    --Bruins end 30-whatever-year drought to win Stanley Cup
    --Brad Stevens' chest-bump in the locker room
    --Shaka Smart and VCU make FF
    --Michigan State's Hail Mary to beat Wisconsin

I lied, maybe that took me three minutes.

11. Situation

Situation Member

Brett Favre takes a dump.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last night's Duke game got a worse rating than the Beef O'Brady bowl game. That's how important it was to sports fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted