1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thankful for my internships

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Jun 1, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm no longer in the biz full-time, but I thought I'd share a story that should make most of us thankful for internships of early career gigs.

Essentially, a professional sports company just hired three interns for the summer, essentially promising to train them for the trade -- one that can pull in a lot of money for most people involved in it. Less than one week in, all three interns have bitched because the boss is having them empty trash cans and clean the office.

Intern apparently means Janitor.

Figured I'd share.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've seen interns hired at places and basically they're employed doing all of the busywork that they don't want the reporters and editors saddled with.

I am completely not a fan of this system. To me, interns should be thrown right into the deep end, and in the best possible world, both cover decent events and edit, too.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is that a surprise. What's a "professional" sports company anyway? Lenny Dysktra's magazine?

Draft saved Draft deleted