1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you veterans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Nov 11, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A sincere thank you and a 21 (gun) salute, not only to the veterans but to their families as well...most of us will never know what it's like for the folks at home who worry and sacrifice.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Print this out and staple to the foreheads of the morons who think disagreeing with the war in Iraq means not supporting the soldiers.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dad, Grandpa,

Thank you.

The proud son and grandson of service men.

4. My father's duty station, 1940-44. North Atlantic convoys.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You're welcome.
    And thank you.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

When I was in sixth grade, my teacher brought in a Rising Sun flag and a hari-kari knife. Both were items he brought back from Japan after fighting there in WWII.

Obviously we didn't realize the full scope of it back then. But now, I'd just like to say thank you, Michael Selavka.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

My grandfather fought in Korea. My dad fought in Vietnam. My best friend fought (and died) in Iraq.

When people ask me who are my heroes, I name those three and the millions that have served, are currently serving and will serve our country in the future.

/salute

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I come from a fairly long line of Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen.

My biological paternal grandfather was an Army WWII vet. My real paternal grandfather served in Korea aboard a refrigeration ship. His son is currently in the Air Force. My stepfather and his father served in the Air Force during Vietnam. My father served in the Army during Desert Shield/Storm and was part of the Battle of Mogadishu. Now, my younger brother has expressed to me an interest in becoming an Army nurse.

They provide my inspiration.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

At Mass on Sunday, they closed the Mass by honoring veterans and playing God Bless America.

I felt very guilty for wondering who would be coming up in the seventh inning for the Yankees. ;)

Joking aside, a salute to veterans.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

A huge thanks to all the vets.

As always, my wife and I raised a toast to her late father, who served on this ship in the South Pacific:

[​IMG]

That little destroyer sank a battleship. Thanks, Ray!

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I wasn't online on Sunday, so here's a belated but hearty THANK YOU to all vets. Freedom is indeed far from free. Its price is sometimes life itself. RIP to those who aren't here and blessings upon those who are here but bear scars, physical or otherwise.

[​IMG]

And as a side note, as one who has ancestors who were on BOTH sides of the US Civil War, the Anglo-Irish conflict and the Euro-American/Native American conflict, I offer the follwing plea to the world. Please. We have more in common than not. Stop thinking it's a good idea to kill people who aren't like you or have conflicting interests. It's not.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I often wonder if we'll know when the last surviving WWI veteran passes. I'm guessing there's a registry of them, but you wonder whether there's someone out there who joined up when he was 12 or 13, lying about his age. Even he'd be over 100 by now.

Draft saved Draft deleted