1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you veterans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Nov 11, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

To those on the board that have served in the military I salute you and say thank you on this day to honor your past service. Have a good Veterans Day.
    http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/

2. Indeed, especially since my company doesn't even make it an official holiday.
    Thanks, Dad, wherever you are.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

My father's giving the speech down at his Legion Post today. I send him my thanks and my love, and send the same to all who've served.

4. Post the text, jmac.

5. I was down in DC yesterday for the parade and just to walk around. The Vietnam War Memorial was very sombering. But it was really neat to walk past a couple vets trading war stories or asking if guy x knew guy y.

Thank you Vets!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless you work for the government or the schools, I don't think anyone gets a day off anymore... Now that I think about it, I think we stopped getting this day off when I was in 8th grade or so....

But, as someone who comes from a very long line of family in the military, we should thank and salute all of our soldiers and vets today...

THANK YOU!!!

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If he emails me his final version, I surely will. I've only seen his notes on broad themes. He's the sort of rhetorical daredevil who like to deliver his thoughts ex tempore.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thank you for your service.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The Memorial Day service at church today was especially moving. Each year they talk about one fallen soldier who was from the congregation. Today's was a 20 year old - just about the age of JR's boys. That hit home.

I'm also a first generation Canadian born of parents who spent part of their childhoods under the Nazi occupation in Holland. Those who fought and died for them are the reason they (and I) are here today.

Thank you to all who serve.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Thanks to both of my grandpaps. I spent a lot of time in September editing and re-writing my grandpap's bio and the stories he had in there from his time in the South Pacific and as a POW were just incredible. He then came home and built his own house, the most amazing man I've ever met. Thank you grandpap Vater, and you as well grandpap Zivic.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Hear hear!

12. Here's something neat from the Beeb about the original meaning of the holiday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7084764.stm

One survivor left from Jutland. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted