1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you, veterans - and condolences to TBF for his loss.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 11, 2009.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Re: Thank you, veterans.

Think of a vet every election day - many, many died giving us the freedom to vote, which helps make this country great. Vote in every election, whether it's a primary, one that has little on the ballot or a presidential election. Vote in every one. Each time you do, you're thanking a veteran.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We've never had a period in our history when soldiers are volunteering to join up for an eight-year-old war with the finish line still anything but certain.
    I'm not downplaying the courage and service of those who rose up against the British, who served on either side of the Civil War, World Wars I or II, or Vietnam. But we are long past 9/11, the sacrifices made by soldiers are known, not hypothetical. There is no promise of a march down Broadway with tickertape.
    And yet we still have people signing up.
    Thanks.

I teared up a bit watching the tape of Obama at Arlington. It had nothing to do with him - but he approached a couple of people visiting the graves of friends and family members who died in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of the guys (likely a former platoonmate of the guy he was visiting, saw Obama approaching and straightened up and saluted in his civilian clothes. The two civs and Obama stood for a moment in front of the grave.
    It's one thing for the President to present a wreath at the tomb of the unknowns - but at they same time they represent "all of us," they belong to none of us. Seeing him mourn with friends and family members of "known" people kind of took all the ceremonial stuff out of it and made it that much more real.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thank you to all the vets on here, and to all the vets in everyone's family.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The story sheds light on potential available remains that could be reclaimed.
    I think in a way it honors all 74,000 who are unaccounted for, and even unaccounted for vets from other wars.
    It's that kind of story.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sort of a somber tone this time around.

Found out today that one of my friends died in Iraq this week. He was a reconnaissance pilot who went through a particularly tough part of flight school with me (read: SERE).

We were sort-of forced to become friends because of our names. His name was Earl R. Scott and mine is R. Earl Scott, so we sat side-by-side in class ... and in some other places. We made fun of the instructors and cut up in class. I made fun of him because he flew a tiny helicopter with a small engine; he called my helicopter a taxi cab. We both had disgusting child molester mustaches and manicured them daily.

He's the first pilot I've known and trained with to have been killed in Iraq or Afghanistan. His helicopter struck wires Sunday approximately 2 kilometers from FOB Speicher. Two fucking kilometers. Know how long it takes to fly two fucking kilometers? At 90 knots, less than a minute. A fucking minute from home.

He was twenty fucking four.

Sorry for the rant and sob story, guys, but my wife really doesn't like to talk about helicopter crashes ... and I needed to get some of this out.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My aunt has spent much of her adult life and considerable expense searching for the remains of her father, who went down in a B-17 off the coast of Holland as it was returning from a bombing run over Germany. She was only 2 when he died, so she never knew him, and could have just put him in the past and gone on with her life. But finding his plane and bringing whatever remains of her father and his crewmates are left is her way of honoring their sacrifice. We owe them all more than we could ever pay.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Tough to deal with, I'm sure.
    Sorry it's hitting so close to home for you.
    Hang in there.
    He died carrying out the highest honor one can have: Service to one's country and the pursuit of peace.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That sucks TBF. I don't know you guys keep putting one foot in front of the other sometimes.
    I remember reading about a bus crash 15 or 20 years ago that killed a bunch of soldiers on their way to or from some training exercise. Not in a battle or war zone, but during peacetime in the US. It was then I realized that heroes aren't just those who dodge bullets, fight the enemy, or die for their country. Heroes are everybody who signs up, knowing the pain, the difficulty of the job, the time away from loved ones, the low pay and the risk.
    Thoughts and prayers again for you, your friend and your families.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

It's not a "sob story," TBF.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You rant, vent, let loose all you want. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is willing to listen.

***Hugs***

(And I'm guessing your wife doesn't like to talk about the crashes because it cuts too close to home.)

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

TBF - Please don't apologize. There's nothing to be sorry for. Please accept my condolences.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

TBF, I'm sorry for your loss.....I hope you are well, and I wish you all the best. Please take care.

RIP Earl R. Scott.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, TBF. Rant, vent or whatever you need to do as much as you need to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted