1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you, Texas AP, for making my night exceptionally hellish

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Jun 6, 2009.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Is that what the AP stringer would have been doing?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

South and east? Do you live in PG?

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The AP would have had multiple people there. At least, they did in the past. I don't know if there were cuts or what not this year. Maybe that explains it.

4. jps

jps Active Member

this one falls on ap. if they're gonna not send shit, they need to send an advisory. their results are counted on yearly. as was pointed out, this isn't rhode island. this is a huge meet and there's no way for a single writer to take care of copy and agate, especially when the thing takes so long to finish. as it is, it's helpful to have one guy there that just runs quotes up to the guy writing it up when there are so many kids that need to be tracked.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not quite. In that general direction. That's where this meet took place. My wife is from there, teaches in the county.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/trackresults/index.htm

Which way do you think would be faster?

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah. There's no cutting and pasting from the UIL site. It just isn't compatible. Print out and type in is the only option, really.

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Ohio is the same way. We rely on the AP for the agate, and we have just three divisions with a two-day meet at Jesse Owens Stadium at Ohio State.
    We send two reporters (I'm one) and a photographer. Between watching the events, corralling the athletes and typing the stories, there's no time to also do the agate. BTW, it's Saturday night and I'm back at the office, about two hours away. I never did get an official results page from the Division III boys high jump on Friday because one wasn't printed.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you have three people available to the task, retyping is better.

If you only have one, you can get a credible result from a site like that with creative use of "find and replace" to format it.

10. fossywriter8

RickStain,
    If your question was for me ...
    * The photographer was not available to type.
    * The two reporters were busy tracking down athletes and writing stories.
    * Our agate moved pretty well, except for the one instance I mentioned, though I was able to get the I needed another way. However, for whoever is back at the office who has to type up the agate, the "find and replace" method would be no faster with the format used by Texas and Ohio -- too much extraneous information to delete while reformatting the rest.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wasn't so much a question. I was just saying that in desperate situations, I've been surprised at how fast I can get something credible by cutting and pasting an awfully formatted mess and using mass F&R to turn it into something usable.

12. fossywriter8

No problem. Luckily our situation was nowhere near what happened in Texas.

Draft saved Draft deleted