1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you letters?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Money007, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Money007

Money007 Guest

Hello all,

Just got back from a job interview (keep your fingers crossed). Do I send thank you letters to both the SE and Exec. Ed? Would thank you emails be better/easier? Do I send them before I get the decision or after? Your thoughts?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

thank you e-mails are just fine.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Which is an argument, I think, for sitting down and writing a thank-you note – one for each significant person you met during your interview. It might set you apart ... if not on this job search, then maybe the next one.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think you should tell them how bitter they are, and that you'll pass them up the chain while they're stuck in the middle. You never know, you could have just interviewed with one of them.

5. Money007

Money007 Guest

Thanks Doc. Really helpful and mature.

Anyway, Hejira, that was my thought also. But how much do you think SE's really put into stuff like that? Maybe a potential tiebreaker if two candidates are really close?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree with Henry. It's been about five years since my last interview, but I bought thank-you notes and tried to make my handwriting intelligible. It was for a department-head job outside sports, so I had to meet the other department heads and I sent each one a thank-you note and mentioned something we had talked about. You know, it took less than two hours to write eight notes, what's the big deal? Might as well go first-class if you can.

7. Mike Knobler

Mike Knobler New Member

Follow Frank's advice. Send them as soon as you can. Take every opportunity to show you are the type of person they want to hire.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That this thread wasn't started by my mother ranks as the greatest upset in SportsJournalists.com history.

9. Taylee

Taylee Member

Always letters, never e-mails.
    And I recommend that you mail the letter(s) the day of the interview.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Agreed.

A thank you card is fine.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

never send e-mails.

a hand-written note with something personal - which means referencing something specific that was said in the interview - works. if you can't come up with something personal, keep the hand-written note brief (dear name, thank you for taking the time to meet with me on wednesday about the sports writer position. i enjoyed meeting you and [the other guy you met] one or two more sentences about why you want to work there. signature).

remember you don't need to necessarily sell yourself in the thank-you.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I got some great advice from someone on this board when I interviewed for my current job. Take the thank-you cards with you, and send them before you leave. The fact they're postmarked in that city will show you were dedicated to doing it right after you left. I went straight from my interview to the airport, so I was kind of screwed and basically had to beg one of the security guards to mail them on his way home...I guess he did. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted