1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you gifts from sources

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copperpot, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I probably drank 10,000 gallons of free soda during my time in the business. It completely altered how I covered all of those events. :D

"Well, they lost by 30, but hey, Free Mountain Dew!!!"

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You definitely pay for drinking the soda, and the food, especially an hour after eating the free food.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At my last stop, one of the feature writers did a story where she quoted Mrs. Fields of the cookie fame. Story wasn't about Mrs. Fields or her chain of stories but still. The next day? Massive amounts of Mrs. Fields cookies delivered to the newsroom. They were devoured, with permission from the brass.

We joked for a while afterward that we'd quote her in every story. The University of Virginia and Virginia Tech meet Saturday in football and Mrs. Fields thinks it will be quite a game. VCU made it to the Final Four and Mrs. Fields is very excited.

Those cookies were goooood.

But the general rule has been expressed here. Use your head. If it feels wrong, it probably is and don't do it. Don't be a jerk about it.
    All bets are off with cookies.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I fall in the use discretion category, but if you feel conflicted about it...how about donating the items to a local food shelter or charity toy drive?

Draft saved Draft deleted