1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Thank you for your service" - a Navy veteran's rant.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 28, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've written before that I'm not a huge fan of any conspiracies, too hard to keep under wraps, but this pro-military kick after 2001 IMHO was more to justify the tremendous outlay of "Homeland Security" infrastructure than any real substantive movement to the military appreciation.

Let's be real, if we really wanted to give the vets supreme status, say like the Japanese Samurai, then they would have the best pay, pensions, medical care, transition opportunities.

Instead, they get some fancy gadgets for warfare, but then the vets face non-existent transition opportunities to ease them back into society, they get taxed more for their benefits, their pay is frozen and at times decreased, and their pensions, while justified, are hardly equal to the "first responders." Look at what the 2018 Tax Bill just did to the "Gold Star" families.

Its a fake message. I'm willing to pay higher taxes to make it right, but sadly not many (mainly the top 1%) are willing to do the same.

So I say let's stop with the (1) demand sanctity for the "flag" and the "national anthem"; and (2) act with real concern for our vets.

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That's a long but good read. It sounds like that guy and I were shopping at the same place recently.

maumann likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That guy needs a crash course in brevity, though.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted