1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Thank you for your service" - a Navy veteran's rant.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 28, 2019.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is a huge difference between not being showered by adulation because you were the face of an unpopular war. ... and being spit on or being treated badly after returning home.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What isn't really commonly realized, or remembered, for that matter, is that even the WWII guys mostly didn't return home to roaring crowds and parades; except for those who happened to be in major cities on V-J Day, the rest of the active duty forces were discharged over a course of several months or more, so mostly they came home one at a time.

And remember, the nation was still emerging from the Depression. There was no guarantee all these soldiers were going to get jobs.

That was really one of the main motivations of the GI Bill, to make it possible and attractive for a lot of veterans to go to college, which would stagger their entry into the civilian work force over several years rather than dumping millions back into the work force all at once.

maumann likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

While most of the parades were going on, my dad was in Tokyo with many others, helping with the occupation.

He turns 92 one month from today and is getting married(!) two months from today.

4. Starman

Will you be able to cope with a new half-sibling?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was at a meeting this morning and as we went around the table introducing ourselves, one woman said she was retired military. Another woman, almost on cue, blurted "thank you for your service." I believe she was being sincere, but it came out like someone saying "bless you" when another person sneezes.

Tarheel316, Inky_Wretch and HanSenSE like this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My daddy was in Tokyo as well, from 1945 to early 1947.

BTExpress likes this.
  7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

My grandfather was on Saipan during that period. Mom said Japanese stragglers were found on a regular basis.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Two observations:

1. I say it to active military. They volunteered to protect us. The least I can do is thank them for doing what I didn't have to experience when I was their age. I had -- and still have -- absolutely no interest in armed warfare.

2. My father is getting increasingly cranky as he ages. At 84, it bugs him that he doesn't get to stand up when veterans are recognized at public events, even though as a NASA subcontractor he spent more time on Air Force bases than many of those who enlisted. However, my mother always points out, "They could have been sent somewhere to fight and die. You got to go home every night."

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What in the holy fuck??

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My uncle was a ballistics engr in Europe campaign in WWII; fancy title, he planted explosives in tunnels and trenches; not pretty.

Gracious guy came home and had so many demons; worked hard every day and drank hard every night. My cousins and I knew to stay away from kitchen after 11.

War ruined so many men (and still does).

11. Starman

Hey, I drank TANG in the Sixties. Does that qualify as military service?

HanSenSE and poindexter like this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why I never pretend know what it’s like to be an officer or soldier; no part of my life ever included “might get shot at”.

Draft saved Draft deleted