1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you Floyd Mayweather for telling it like it is.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 14, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Go ahead and play the race card; like I consistently say, consider the source.

Floyd Mayweather is who? Oh yeah and idiot who happens to box well. That's it. He's not the center of society's consciousness nor particularly well versed in race relations. He's voiced homophobic remarks previously.

Why chime in now? Simply jealously because he does not believe that his "brothers" get the same due. Wrong. Lin is making the league minimum. Kobe is getting $28M. Howard is getting $25M. Am I saying Lin is in their level? No, just that they have earned it and are getting paid accordingly.

Lin has done more in his first 4 games that he's started than everyone else that Mayweather (and those that agree with him) claim have done the same thing. No one else has scored as many since the NBA-ABA merger. Scoreboard. That tells the story.

Favored treatment because he's an Asian American? Really? You are so desperate to toot your own race that you think that in your heart? Asians comprise less than 5% of the population in the U.S. The last time Asians caught a break at the expense of the rest of the population was when......someone needed an engineer and did not know who to pick so he went with the Asian. That's the only time as well.

Mayweather, go back to beating on women and driving drunk and leave the social commentary to someone who actually knows something about social commentary.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Floyd Mayweather is full of shit. No one does what Jeremy Lin has done every night. Maybe on one given night, but not five games in a row.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/jeremy-lin-is-no-fluke/

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And which neither of them, at the cost of many millions of dollars, had managed to do.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If he goes 20/6 50% tonight, that list gets a lot shorter, but I see him settling in career wise with the above-average group.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The next game was Saturday, at Minnesota.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The NBA wants Asian point guards to excel -- Rush Limbaugh

7. Traveling

Traveling Member

That's some good research, but anyone who would call Starbury above average and Fat Lever just average should be punched in the throat.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

People who are saying it is driven by race are blinded by race themselves. You realize he's scored the most points in first three starts, four starts ... etc. since the NBA merger in 1977-78? He's do this after being cut by two teams. Not three years ago, not two years ago but recently. On top of that he's doing it in New York while the two All-Stars are injured and beating a team lead by Kobe.

If you think it is because he is Asian you are being racist. You are seeing race where race has no part.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wanted to agree, but ... Marbury was a cancer to his teams, but he had 11 seasons with 15-plus points and five-plus assists a game. Lever, one of my favorite players growing up, had four.

Lever's career statistics: In 752 games, 13.9 points, 6.2 assists, 6.0 rebounds, 2.2 steals, 2.0 turnovers a game on 44.7 percent shooting with a 17.8 player efficiency rating.
    Marbury's career statistics: In 846 games, 18.4 points, 7.3 assists, 2.8 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 2.9 turnovers a game on 43.3 percent shooting with a 18.7 player efficiency rating.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The day Floyd Fucking Mayweather is my moral compass on race relations, I had better go back for some remedial courses.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The fact that Jeremy Lin is Asian-American is a major part of his story. Obviously, it's not the whole story, but it's an important element that needs to be discussed. I mean how many Asian-Americans are there in the NBA?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Joe Alexander was always my favorite, but he couldn't cut it.

Draft saved Draft deleted