1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you Floyd Mayweather for telling it like it is.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

You may not like what he said or the way he said it, but Floyd Money Mayweather told the truth about this fixation with Jeremy Lin.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7572690/floyd-mayweather-says-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-spotlight-race-not-play

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This Yahoo! Sports blog did a nice job explaining the whole Lin thing for the small-minded.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take/201202/floyd-mayweather-plays-race-card-jeremy-lin

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Equally correct story. It's a damn shame the race card is being played in all of this. I've enjoyed watching Lin play. He's having fun living out a dream.

4. Traveling

Traveling Member

Except instead of discarding the race card Floyd dealt you, you tried using it to make an inside straight. The intelligence of anyone who thought Money was speaking the truth immediately comes into question here.

There wasn't an established sporting voice in the Asian community to debunk what Jason Whitlock said about Lin, but there are more than enough established black voices in the NBA community for someone to step up and tell Money to clam it, and that no one authorized him to speak on behalf of NBA players.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

If someone such as Tim Kawakami wrote something about Lin challenging an a-hole likeWhitlock, you're talking about getting into a pissing match and that's not what Mayweather is saying, in my opinion. He's just pointing out that what Lin is doing has been done on a nightly basis by African-American players some without fan fare. There's no getting around the fact that Lin doing his thing in the Big Apple is getting bigger play if he were doing it in Charlotte.

6. Traveling

Traveling Member

I can buy media hype, playing in NYC vs. Charlotte, etc. Who doesn't benefit from starring on the game's biggest stage?

But as far as the idea that black players making their first NBA starts have been doing what Lin did is absurd. It's a group that includes Wilt, MJ, Olajuwon and Billy Ray Bates (the latter name dragging me into the history books when I saw the statistical graphic on SportsCenter)

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Lin's production in his first four starts is absolutely historic. His 109 points in his first four starts is the most since the ABA-NBA merger.

But why does that make it wrong to play the race card? For the same reason we praised President Obama and Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters, we praise Jeremy Lin. He made an entire ethnic group's NBA dream into a reality. That's fucking socially important. We'd be irresponsible to not cover it.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Jeremy Lin energized a moribund Knicks franchise and fan base single-handed. The end.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also, Floyd Mayweather is a bum.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

...and should fight Pacquiao.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just to chime in on what others have said, Mayweather is FOS. When you find me the black player -- or any player -- who was unrecruited (by DI) in high school, undrafted out of college (and from a basketball backwater like Harvard, at that), cut twice, sent to the D-League and had his team consider releasing him just before he scored more points in his first four starts than anyone since the NBA-ABA merger, please let me know. Then he'll have a point.

Until then, STFU.

Thank you.

Edit: Oh, yeah, don't forget the part about sleeping on his brother's couch because he wasn't sure how long he'd have an NBA job.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Floyd doesn't have the stomach for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted