1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank goodness for salary caps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 8, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Since TSP hasn't bothered to be clear with his point, I'll address what I think he is getting at -- that the system didn't really work here. Soft caps aren't as good as hard caps. That has been proven time and again. This is just one more example.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The true measure of whether a salary cap works cannot be determined by player movement (or lack thereof).

The true indicator is whether the value of franchises and the annual cap number rise steadily over time.

In broad terms that tells me that both the players and the owners are getting their money.

3. outofplace

Salary caps serve more than one purpose. One is to help ensure the financial well-being of the league. The other is competitive balance. To say the latter is not a factor is to display ignorance, if for no other reason than the fact that it has an impact on the former.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Probably but would that really change much for the avg fan? would the working class blue collar people in the small markets not be able to afford the courtside seats they can thanks to the salary cap. the thing is with all the yapping about the unfairness toward the small market teams in baseball, what about basketball.
    the value of franchises in baseball have risen and are rising, even the shitty small market teams. most of them have stadiums that are pretty new, they cost a lot to build.

5. outofplace

True. And if they had proper revenue sharing and/or a cap and floor, it would be rising even more and at a more balanced rate for everybody.

6. cjericho

not for everybody, that would be more for the smaller markets. it would be taking from the richest and giving to the less rich. i understand that it would make for more competitive balance but there are many factors. if they had a hard cap, would they cap the food and drinks? is it fair that it costs the fans more in new york and boston than it does in pittsburgh and KC?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Football has competitve balance for one reason: The 16-game season. Less games = more lucky bounces.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think I've been saying that from the start.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, if a player wants to accept less money for a (perceived) greater chance to win a championship elsewhere, that's the player's choice. LeBron simply gave his hometown discount to another team.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I thought it was better in the days when signing a free agent required compensation. Not having the inmates run the asylum.

11. outofplace

cjericho, costs of living are different in different places. Fans want their team to have a chance to compete. Every team in the NFL has that chance if it is well run. The opportunities are not quite the same in the NBA and they are much further out of whack in the NBA.

TSP, the reason those lucky bounces mean anything is because the talent level is so close. I really should start charging for having to teach you so much.

spnited, you can say it a million times. It is still as flawed and imcomplete of a view as it was the first time.

12. cjericho

yes fans want their teams to have a chance to compete. but it is business. it is entertainment. theater fans in whatever small market may think it's unfair that they can't see elton john in the lion king at the main street playhouse, but they probably wouldn't think $200 a ticket is that fair either.

Draft saved Draft deleted