1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank God For Editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Feb 4, 2007.

1. A fella makes one comment about what he would do about BAD editors and he's forever known as the guy who hates editors.

Well, to right the ship a bit I propose that everyone list at least one occassion in which an editor saved your butt, because we know they do it all the time ... even though we hate to admit it. Consider it a tribute.

Here's mine: In a crime story, I once mistakenly switched the names so the dead victim was shooting to death her attacker.

Glad that didn't make it to print.

2. Taylee

Taylee Member

Wow, six hours into thread and not one bite.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

When we, as a society, reach the point where the helpfulness of editors isn't even an issue and is just accepted, we'll know that we've advanced. ;)

4. Yeah, can't say I'm really surprised, but now my conscience is clear ...

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've had editors save my ass 1,000 times for every one time they've fucked me up.
    It's a thankless job, like linemen and officials. You only really notice when they fuck up.

I had one fuck me up real bad once and apologize for two years. It was nice to hold that over his head but the account was still heavily in his favor.
    A great editor is gold.
    Say thank you early and often.

6. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

I'm awfully thankful. If not for some excellent editors, I might well be unemployed by now.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, I'm still trying to think of one. Don't rush me. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted