1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TGIF-Prep Football Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 31, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I just filed my gamer for the night. I was a little rusty. I left my ID at home. Fortunately, everyone knew me. I missed a few plays while writing notes and had to ask for jersey numbers. I was 10 minutes late and six inches too long. Then I was 15 minutes late and two inches too long.

Twas a good game, 18-13 with an interception in the corner of the end zone to end it. The final scoring try came after the idiot coach for the winning team called a pitch on second-and-7 with 1:30 to play. It was a fumble, of course, and the defense recovered at their opponents' 44. Four plays from inside the 15 were unsuccessful, particularly the interception.

It was a good night. Now I'm having a coke and a smile.

Please share your stories, even the why did this asshole file his story 15 minutes late and several inches too long stories.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Said the hermaphroditic sports writer.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dear IT guys,

It's Friday night football, so could you please make sure our servers don't crash right as the writers are trying to file? Or, at the very least, get them up and running in less than 30 minutes?

Thanks,
    A very pissed off SE

4. Just got home and cracked open my post-game beer (Busch Light).
    Went to Bugtussle, saw a 27-0 whitewash - few games around here are exciting though - but had a ball.
    I love - absolutely love - West Virginia's Friday night football environment.
    Sitting up in the press box (a plywood structure with electricity) I can not get cell service, but I do have wireless Internet.
    I feed the PA scores all night and ask that he mention scores are coming courtesy of the paper.
    Taking notes of the game ... Everytime I leaned out the window I can smell the grilled chicken cooking on the grill across the field. GOD it smelled sooo good.
    Having wireless, I sent my story from the press box and was out of there by 10:50.
    It was a nice cool evening. No fog on the way home and I got most of local picks right.
    All in all a good night.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I struggled through my first prep football gamer in months. Never mind that I covered an ugly blowout - it took a majestic effort to muster 14 inches. Man, I hope this doesn't set the tone for the rest of the season. I'm so ready for a competitive game.

But I must say, I love schools that have wireless. And I do enjoy bantering with the TV guys, making fun of the ones who read our stuff verbatim on the air.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

So far one of my guys on the road can't log in and just got his stats done, and has 45 minutes to write and might have to dictate before deadline.

Is it November yet?

7. HeinekenMan

oh, the horror stories.

My first game last year: No phone wire in the press box. At the conclusion of the game, I spotted a guy directing pedestrian traffic off the field, and I asked if he knew how I might be able to file. He was the biggest prick I've ever met. He went on about how he didn't have time to deal with my problems.

But I kept my composure. In a sweet little voice, I said that I'd just go on home to file because that would take only 45 minutes, where standing there waiting for him to stop being an asshole might take an hour. As I was walking off, he hollered at me to stop and then said I should try the band room, where there was a phone line I could use. When I got to the band room and found the band director's office, I discovered that the school had digital phone service and that their wire was more like an ethernet cable. I think I even plugged it in, but I was getting nothing.

I filed almost an hour later, a good 40 minutes past deadline, from home. The next day, I discovered that a columnist from my paper was at the game to do a story on the home team's female kicker. It turns out she had the same filing issues.

Tonight, I covered a tiny school that plays in a city park, on the field that is really designed for Pop Warner ball. We didn't have a flag for the national anthem, so you know we didn't have wireless. Hell, we didn't even have wires. No press box at all.

Fortunately, I only live 10 minutes away. So it didn't take me long to get cracking once the game ended. These early-season games are always a pain in the ass, though, because we have mandatory water breaks and tons of penalties.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The Cats are 1-0, and as usual thanking the Lord that the only other team in they play that is markedly worse than they are always comes first on the schedule.

I did OK. Had to take photos too, and had to make deadline for the first time in a long time. I got some good shots in the first half, so I put the camera way for the second and hooked it to my computer in an area behind the endzone where I felt at least a little bit comfortable and could keep an eye on it. Well, afterward, Coach Assclown packed it all up while I was doing interviews and loaded it on the team bus. "Uh, these are ours," he said when i asked why the fuck he took them.

Got it all back, kicked myself for being stupid, and found a free-wireless hotel parking lot to file from. I did OK on deadline. I was about 3 minutes late of an unofficial deadline with my copy and box, then spent another five minutes finding little shit I wanted to change and resending it.

Wish had been a little more crisp, but damn it feels good to be done.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Oh, and while chasing down Coach Assclown I managed to step into a ditch filled with mud and water despite the fact that I think we're in a drought and it hasn't rained since June. My foot is still soggy.

F-you, coach.

10. HeinekenMan

I wish I had an excuse as good as the coach taking my computer and loading into the team bus.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The pages went out on time.

We got about half the call-ins we should have.

Can't wait for November.

12. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

how do you cover a game and not know your paper had a columnist there too?

just curious

Draft saved Draft deleted