1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texting while driving increases crash risk 23 times

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I can't imagine how much she'd annoy me if she was alive. :D

As for the thread topic, I'm sure happy to own an iPhone. The touch screen keys make it virtually impossible for an uncoordinated guy like me to type and drive. Good thing ... I'd much rather perish trying to eat a rack of ribs while switching lanes in an ice storm.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You have no idea how bad it can get.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Uh oh. Trey's in trouble.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Honestly ... regardless of my past refrains on this topic ... I'll be saying the same thing when I get a QWERTY keyboard phone. Only reason I feel comfortable texting while driving now is because I don't have to look down to do it; I've memorized the 9-digit keypad.

When I get my iPhone in January, there's no way I'll be able to text and drive at the same time. Even if I want to. :D

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I actually text much better with the QWERTY keyboard. Don't have to watch out for how many times you hit the 5 key to get two "l"s and not some symbol. :D

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Damn. IJAG's here already. I was going to say "IJAG to the white courtesy iPhone," but she's on the thread already.

Hey! I didn't wreck!

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Heck yes they should be villified. I can barely tolerate cell-phone driving. To actually look down at a screen? Ridiculous.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

P.S. I didn't wreck because I'm indoors.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

23 times is a lot, but somehow didn't stop me from sendinmg this via the 'Berry while going 60! Viva la knee-driving!

RB

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hmmm, a study conducted by a group with an obvious bias and who started with the premise that a certain behavior was unsafe........ ::)

More importantly, like I wrote before, if this was the case (and I was arguing this when it was SEVEN times more likely to lead to a crash) -- why has there not been an insane spike in car crashes over the past two or three years and why are car crashes, fatalities and serious injuries resulting from them way down over the past 20 years?

I mean, if this is really 23 times more dangerous than driving drunk, well, people should be wrecking at alarming rates.

But they are not.

Again, this is hysteria kookacracy being trumpeted by a bunch of whining government-loving America-hating losers who can't let the rest of us just live our life as we choose in a free society.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Driving's not a right, it's a privilege.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Walking is a right for the most part, but it is also not recommended to text while you're doing that.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/07/11/2009-07-11_shes_texting_but_then_she_just_drops_in.html

Draft saved Draft deleted