1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texting and driving documentary: "From One Second to the Next"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems like the kind of market-based action that the green guy would embrace.

2. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

Haven't heard that either. I know my state requires an ignition interlock after a certain number of DUIs, but I'm not sure if the alcohol lobby was ever against the requirement.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm OK AS LONG AS THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR THE APP IN YOUR PHONE OR THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR PHONES TO ALL CONTAIN THE APP.

If a provider wants to sell a phone with an app in it that makes it harder to text and drive more power to them - that's really how things are supposed to work.

The problem is, liberty hating whiners won't be happy with that.

They will force the government to pass ridiculous laws and regulations requiring all phones manufactured to contain the app.

Which brings me back to my point -- this is fucking ridiculous excuse for more government regulation, more government intrusion, more government laws.

We're just not that far from having soldiers goose stepping down our streets.

4. zagoshe

And while we are at it - are we going to require Big Macs, Whoppers and Arbys Roast Beefs to have an app in them so you can't eat them while moving?

How Avon lipsticks with an app that force you to be stopped to use them?

I mean, eating and driving is very dangerous.......

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Last I checked, there isn't anything in the Constitution about the right to drive a car, or the right to text a message.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Probably? With data? Do you think drinking and driving is OK, too?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

An excellent question.

I don't know if there is any data regarding eating and driving or other possible distractions such as changing radio stations. There is data on texting and driving and it is driving legislation to control such dangerous behavior.

Some people will go all tinfoil hat and ascribe the worst possible motives to every piece of legislation they don't like. The rest of us will realize that decent people can reasonably disagree regarding the best course of action, yet still all be working on doing what they think is best.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Drinking and driving when it is absolutely certain not another soul will ever come within a mile of you? Fine by me.

Absent that bolded part? Go stick your "liberty-hating" arguments where the sun don't shine.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes! Now we're getting somewhere.

10. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

Ah, our green friend, always so measured and rational.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Green boy simply doesn't like the idea of the government being able to tell him he can't do anything.

Fire mortar shells off your back porch at the elementary school next door? Well goddamn if we are going to let The Gubbmint tell us we can't do that, because, you know, liberty and stuff.

12. zagoshe

Well the reason there is "data" -- and it is highly questionable given that the "data" was gathered to support a hypothesis floated by the whiners among us --- on texting and driving is because it became a boogeyman to those who think we need to regulate every aspect of our lives and they funded studies to try and prove what they believe to be the case.

I'm sure if there was a study on eating while driving it would produce results that say "it is evil, we need to regulate it and then find a way to tax it as well....."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.