1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texting and driving documentary: "From One Second to the Next"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just got back from a two-week vacation that involved a 2,500-mile (round trip) drive. Astounded at the number of people I saw texting while driving. I suspect something is going to have to be done to rectify this externality. I've read about apps that lock out text functionality when the phone is moving more than, say, 10 mph. Those are, I think, going to have to be made standard.

3. Dick Whitman

The problem with that is train commuters. (I am one - I'm on one right now.)

That said: That you seem to agree with this notion makes me think there is something to it, since you're usually pretty good on here about shooting down various panics and wrong-headed thinking with contrarianism that seems to check out, in most cases. When I said that you responded, I thought, "Oh, no. He's about to blast me to oblivion on my insufficiently thought-through point." That you didn't makes me think that the movie and my reaction to it may be on to something.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are already states passing laws against distracted driving, more specifically the use of hand-held electronic devices while driving. New York passed a law in 2011 making it a primary offense, meaning that police officers can pull somebody over for it. Before that, the person had to be stopped for another violation before they could be cited for distracted driving.

AT&T sponsors an "It Can Wait" campaign that targets distracted driving. I sat in one one of their presentations at a local high school, which included a documentary "The Last Text," which tells the story of people killed or crippled due to texting while driving, right down to what the text was that caused the accident.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2964

There is an online simulator on the site that helps demonstrate how easily you can end up in an accident. It's a really stupid way to end up hurting somebody else or yourself.

5. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but I'm talking criminal offense. A misdemeanor. On par with drunk driving. People don't like to get tickets, because it's a pain in the ass and expensive. But they shudder at a criminal charge.

6. outofplace

Unfortunately, DUI is still often a misdemeanor as well, but your point is well taken. The laws against texting while driving should be tougher. Then again, you are preaching to the choir with me. I'm also in favor of tougher laws against drinking and driving.

7. Dick Whitman

Because you think it's preventative or because you think people who do it deserve it? I guess they go hand in hand. When the classification for an act is minor, people tend to think that the act is minor. That said, we're trying to reduce our prison population, not add to it. But just the stigma of a criminal charge can work wonders, particularly with crimes like these that educated people who care about such things do commit.

8. outofplace

Primarily because I at least hope it is preventative, though some people are going to keep doing stupid things no matter what. These are dangerous behaviors causing preventable deaths and there are far too many people that don't take them seriously.

Beyond that, it's not so much a matter of punishment for people who deserve it, but protecting society from those who will continue to do it. Leonard Little killed a woman while driving drunk, but he did it again. He didn't even serve another day in jail for the later offense due to some technicality.

Andrew Gallo had no business ever driving a car again even before the crash that killed Nick Adenhart. Perhaps tougher laws would have prevented that.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Phones don't kill people. People kill people. #GunLoons

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm not so sure how effective stricter laws/harsher punishments would be re: prevention, however ... as you point out, stupid gonna do what stupid gonna do ... which is why I think we probably need more effective "nudges" (e.g., text prevention apps that require multiple steps to overcome). But if you jump through all of those hoops just so you can text while you drive, then your ass is grass in my book.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I actively work to promote this video and campaign, so I'm glad to see it getting some traction on here.

Some stats that I often cite and find to be compelling:
    * Texting drivers are 23 times more likely to be involved in a crash
    * More than 100,000 auto accidents per year are a result of distracted driving
    * More adults (49 percent) admit to texting while driving than teens (43 percent)
    * Sending or reading a text takes your eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, enough time to travel the length of a football field at highway speed

12. outofplace

Text prevention apps are a good idea, too. I think we need a combination of that with harsher punishments. Of course, some people will still do stupid things. The idea is to reduce that number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.