1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Text your question to 542-542"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You've probably seen the TV ads where the guy can't remember who played first base for the Red Sox in 1986, so his wife texts the question to 542 542 for the answer. The ad goes on to say they can answer any question you might have, for a 99-cent fee.

Are people really that dumb? Don't they realize that most halfway decent cell phones have access to Google, at no extra charge?

Here's the Web site of the company, which, somewhat ominously, goes by "kgb.com"

http://kgb.com/

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bill Buckner. As in Bill Buckner.

As in the first clip in this:

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know a friend who does teh answers on this. I did it for one night. It was the worst thing in the world to me, in that the questions you get in training (Things like "What day did we land on the moon?") are nothing like what you get in reality ("Who sang the rock song that the video was shot in a school and had the name Nancy in it?") And so you spend 20 minutes on one question.

I quit immediately. My friend is much more patient and does it.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

I do it as well and I'd say 65 percent of the questions are sex or drug related from giggly teenagers who have nothing better to do. At any rate, it's a rip off working for them. It's 10 cents per question but I need the extra money. I wish I could only answer sports questions and I'd make a lot more money instead of explaining sex positions to 12-year olds.

5. OTD

OTD Active Member

Do you get paid by the hour or the question? If it's by the question, I'll rephrase:

Do you get paid by the hour?

Do you get paid by the question?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome.

It's 10 cents a question if it's one you have to look up yourself. It's 5 cents a question if it's one of their automated answers (generally something that's already been answered, something simple). I figured you could do a question every two minutes, so $3 an hour, for time I'd be surfing the net anyway.

I think I worked two hours that one shift and answered four questions.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I still think that "Knock knock; who's there; KGB" joke from The Office was essentially a product placement. They started radio ads around the same time.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Free on google? Well only if you pay $40 per month for phone on your internet.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I texted a question to kgb once and didn't get an answer. So I sent in another question: "Are kgb users charged for questions that don't get answers?"

Didn't get an answer to that question, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted