1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Text Messaging Gone Wild

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 16, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Fixed.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Coming just down the road, I'm sure:

Texters Anonymous

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It states in the story that the family has AT&T. A such, the number of messages also includes incoming messages as well. Then, if you send a message to two people at once, it counts as two messages.

So, let’s just posit that half of the approximately 15,000 messages were received, that puts the number to 7,500 messages sent. A commenter pointed out that if this girl has, say, 10 friends that are texting together at once then each message sent really counts as 10 messages sent. This would have the girl typing out only 750 messages in a month. Take an average month of 30-days and this girl could be sending out about 25 messages per day.

As we know a lot of these messages could simply be, “LOL,” “Whatev,” or, hell, I don’t know the lingo, but there is a bunch of those types of messages that exist.

That certainly seems excessive to me, but I'm not a teenage girl.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You're not?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Ho ho! What a zinger there!

At least you were able to properly use an apostrophe this time.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

K

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

15,000? That's nothing.

What an amatuer.

Try 35,000 in one month. TWICE!

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090115/APN/901150636

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I got to 4,000 one month during senior year of high school. My family had a good laugh over it, since my sister had only 300 or so.

That shit is addicting.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Amazing numbers. Of course I'm still not happy that text is now a verb, but that battle was lost long ago.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This has already been covered, many times over, on the 'how much do you text' thread over on AG.

Astounding numbers, group texts or not.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Easy on her. She was just pissed because she found out her boyfriend was having sex with their teacher.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And poindexter is slamming stuff all over his place right now because you found this out before he did.

Some of us - given post totals - have little room to talk, y'know ...

Draft saved Draft deleted