1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas weather ... Here we go again!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Texas weather ... It's gonna be a long night

Pet peeve alert!

Texas weather? It seems like everywhere I've lived, including Texas, calls it "fill in state" weather. Or there's some variation on, "If you don't like ____ weather, just wait, it will change."

Weather is wild everywhere. To illustrate, I think these storms are headed our way tomorrow.

Soap box now ditched, I hope everyone is OK. Having been through a few tornadoes down there, it is scary given the lack of basements, build-up of water, etc.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

on the first level of the press box or the second?

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Rained all day here.

Supposed to rain all night all day tomorrow.

We need the rain.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

First, which is still about 30 rows above street level and gives you a clear view over the visitor-side stands.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so you can't see it from the second level, eh?

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I try to avoid the second level. It's a long enough climb to the first level for a fat man.

I've been hearing for two or three years now that "next year" they'll have an elevator installed, but for the 25 years Ratliff has been open the only pressbox access is through the stands.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd like to see that one day.

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

So... what are you supposed to do if a tornado siren goes off? Cause it just did down here, and we're under a tornado warning, but the storm isn't really here yet.

Emergency Alert system has gone off, but it's not giving me any information.

Oh dear, there's the siren again.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

And with that same storm, we'll be getting 2-4 inches of rain in the next 36 hours, on top of the 2 that fell yesterday.

And all that snow you're getting will soon melt and be heading down river toward us.

I have a feeling that 100-year flood that happened in 1993 will be back 15 years later.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you still hangin', smash? how are things out your way now?

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

It's resolved to pretty spectacular lightning right now.

We had two areas of "tornadic rotation" that caused the sirens to go off, but no confirmed tornados as of yet (and we may never know, given the wide open spaces out here). Golf-ball sized hail, winds of 65+ but no tornadoes.

We've got a little skinny band that looks to be past now, though every time I hear the thunder rumbling I'm tempted to dive under my coffee table. Spring is such good times.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Tornadoes are expected to hit near San Angelo in the next little bit. I'm hoping they avoid it, because there could be a lot of damage there.

Draft saved Draft deleted