1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas tries to bully refugee resettlement organizations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Dec 1, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Finally realizing states don't have the authority to control people from legally moving across their borders, Texas is now bullying agencies that resettle refugees.

Texas threatens resettlement agency over Syrian refugees

You may think this is detestable and cowardly, but, hey, the harassment strategy seems to work pretty well with abortion clinics.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Texas logic: Syrian refugees are too much of a risk of being terrorists, but hey, having everyone with five guns isn't a risk.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, they're already taking in a flood of Mexican and Central American refugees on a daily basis. Can't blame them for not wanting to take on more.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you really can blame em. It's not up to a some random officials using a maze of legal resources funded by taxpayers, to intimidate people and try to run them off by making them spend money to have to fight frivolous legal battles at a cost. It's a free country. A dumbass governor can't unilaterally ban groups of people he doesn't like from his state, at his whim. That kind of dictatorial power didn't come with the election results that got him into office.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, dictatorial power is the President's job!

old_tony and doctorquant like this.
  6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Mike Pence scoffs at Texas' feeble response.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No, you can't blame them. They're too vulnerable, because they're fatigued from fighting off Jade Helm and the Hostile Federal Takeover.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Your heart says "Texas," but your lips say "every 21st century left-wing social movement" ever.

Don't disagree with the sentiment, especially the second part. Just pointing out that it's become an effective go-to tactic for anyone opposed to anything -- sue, tie it up in the courts and bureaucracy for years under the guise of complying with some regulation or other, make them spend money until they can't any more and they give up or move on.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can you point to an example of a "21st century left-wing social movement" using this tactic? There must be many, but darned if I can find one.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My heart doesn't say anything close to what I think you are assuming. I was describing what I saw. There's no need to try to shoehorn things into, "left-wing social movements" or try to equivocate what these politicians in Texas are doing with something about the president -- to create an equivalency of some sort that minimizes their actions. I can look at something objectively and stay on topic about the exact thing I am talking about, without needing to try to make it about anything else. This had zero to do with the president. It has nothing to do with a "left-wing social movement."

It's interesting that you came up with "every 21st century left-wing social movement," though. I don't see the world that way. If I did have to shoehorn things, I wouldn't be thinking in terms of "left wing" or "right wing" which have become all but meaningless terms. What these politicians are doing in Texas is no less of a "social movement" than the social movements you might deem "left wing." For me, it's simply a liberty thing -- I don't care what corrupt political party someone attaches their name to. Leave people alone and let them live freely without interference (whatever the agenda or "movement"). Stop trying to socially engineer the world to fit your biases. It amounts to trampling on the freedom of anyone who runs afoul of you. That goes for whatever you mean by "left wing" and whatever you might mean by "right wing." To me, it's all the same bullshit -- even if the rhetoric different politicians employ appeals to different people (with their biases).

To me, it is all the same. We should all -- including people who immigrate here and have traditionally been the lifeblood of our melting pot -- be free to live our lives the WAY we choose, WHERE we choose, and in a way that allows each of us individually to enjoy the things we have earned HOWEVER we choose -- without interference from others.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to minimize anyone's actions. I'm all for government being limited. I'm just saying that should also include the President not making end runs around the system when Congress won't do what he wants it to do.

old_tony likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you need some recent examples of those pursuing such a path, you might consider New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman ... and Houston mayor Annise Parker ... or ... oh hell, the list goes on and on.

Draft saved Draft deleted