1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas / Texas Tech - Game On

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mike Leach vs. Will Muschamp

Greg Davis vs. Ruffin McNeill

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No one's holding a gun to their head to make them play a conference championship game, are they? If you don't want to risk your league's top team getting another loss, then quit playing another game just for the money. (No, I don't ever expect that to happen.)

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That shouldn't matter about Florida. Any team that is undefeated and as good as Penn State should be in position for the title game at this point.

Even if they win two out of the next three, beat Indy, Iowa and lose to MSU, they would be 11-1 and so far, there is no guarantee for them.

In a playoff we could see these 8 teams right now:

1. Texas
    2. Alabama
    3. Penn State
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Florida
    6. Texas Tech
    7. Boise State or Utah
    8. USC

Round 1: Texas vs. USC, Boise State or Utah vs. Alabama, Penn State vs. Texas Tech, Oklahoma vs. Florida. (Tell me Oklahoma Florida, or Bama Boise State wouldn't be sick?

And fuck that little 11 bullshit. Nobody remembers when OSU defeated a great Miami team in '02 for the title. Or that two years ago Michigan and Ohio State were top 3 almost all season.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mustang, I'd add Tulsa and Ball State to Boise and Utah as the potential BCS buster.

Man, the rest of that list is impressive, with Texas, Alabama, Penn State, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas Tech and USC.

Getting lost in the Texas-Texas Tech game is the Florida-Georgia game. It's being played on a neutral site and Georgia is favored.

I think both games can go either way, but if I had to pick the two winners straight up, I'd go with Texas and Florida. Florida is probably the best team in the SEC, but Alabama hasn't been knocked off. What Florida did to Kentucky was obscene.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

All the Big1T1en and Pac-10 have to do is expand to 12 teams and then they can split into divisions and have their own championship games. The SEC, ACC, Big XII, C-USA and MAC are are getting extended paydays.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fixed

7. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

It's because that's convenient.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

See, that little 11 bullshit is accurate in recent times. I'll give you '02, but two years ago, "everyone" was clamoring for a rematch between "the two best teams in the country" (which by the way, a conference title game would solve) and instead Florida smacked tOSU up one side of the field and down the other.

So big deal, Penn State is going to win that conference — Texas, USC or the SEC representative (Florida, Georgia or Alabama) will win that game easily.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

And USC beat Michigan with ease.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I love Mike Leach.

I would hate to be a Tech beat writer.

Five hour games...imagine after checking the Kansas State-Oklahoma halftime score what that game will be like. If it isn't a 9 a.m. kickoff, deadlines may be threatened.

Mustang - Alabama has potholes all over its schedule...paving the way for your Nittanies to lose another championship game for the Big Eleven.

11. You and I agree on football, anyway. I don't see 'Bama winning out.
    However, I have a terrible feeling that Tech's not ready for the heat in this game. I'm rooting for the Nittanies if only because their conference has avoided having one of those phony fundraising ratings-killing conference "championship games." If the SEC wants to throw its best team into one extra meat-grinder, it can take the consequences.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Hey, the Big 12 South could be its own powerbroker apart from the North. That's the best configuration in years. Four teams in the top 10? And if A&M hadn't fired R.C. Slocum, they might have had a fifth.

Puppy just broke gas. Damn. Got to get him back to the next office.

Draft saved Draft deleted