1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Tech women's basketball beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by courtney, Sep 9, 2009.

1. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

This beat has been covered by the SE in recent years. Former SE Patrick Gonzales did it before leaving for a job in Detroit.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With Knight gone, I'm assuming this is the paper's No. 2 beat.

Do they still travel with the women? I think they were the last paper in the conference to do so.

3. Checking lubbockonline.com, the Lady Raider blog is assigned to a Travis Cram. That's all I know.

4. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Travis Cram left to take a position with the university, I believe.

And to the poor soul who said there's absolutely no college nightlife in Lubbock, you've obviously never been to Lubbock.

5. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

@mltru2tx I'll redact my statement a bit. I do remember it being fairly tame, but that was on a Thursday-Friday, usually the nights I remember my college nights. Maybe I was in the wrong part, but I was pretty bored there.

6. Yeah, there are plenty of college bars in Lubbock. Their quality is certainly up for debate.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Betsy Blaney holds down our Lubbock bureau. :p

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Actually, I think you're wrong. Got a friend who just finished grad school there not so long ago. It's a typical small college town, which means there's all sorts of late-night trouble to get into, as I found out first hand (and I'm too old for this shit).

Town-wise, there are worse places to wind up in this business than Lubbock. It ain't Dallas or Austin, but those places are a cheap, quick Southwest flight away.

9. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

Dang I wish I hadn't just started another lease at a new job! I'd apply for this one in a heartbeat, and I have experience covering women's college hoops. Even had a few run-ins with Kirsty Curry back in the day. Oh well. Good luck to whoever gets it.

10. At least the person who gets the job - if they are not a teetotaler - will no longer have to drive to The Strip to get their hooch.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/092409/loc_496751562.shtml

11. True Son

True Son New Member

Anyone know the status of this one?

12. kingkroz1017

kingkroz1017 New Member

Son, you're hired!

Draft saved Draft deleted