1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Tech women's basketball beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by courtney, Sep 9, 2009.

1. courtney

courtney New Member

This is posted on our Web site here: http://www.lubbockonline.com/jobs/aj.shtml. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

SPORTS WRITER

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal is looking for a sports writer to join our award-winning staff and handle the Texas Tech Lady Raiders beat, along with other college and high school assignments throughout the year. The top candidate can write great stories under deadline pressure, can find and write compelling feature and enterprise stories and grasps the Web…updating beat blogs online and comfortable working in multimedia. You must have daily newspaper experience (college is acceptable). If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, three references and six writing samples to Shelby Caballero, The Lubbock Avalanche Journal, 710 Avenue J, Lubbock TX 79401, or email shelby.caballero@lubbockonline.com. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

shelby.caballero@lubbockonline.com

2. dm19

dm19 Member

Anyone know anything about the paper, the position, the Sports Editor, the potential pay? Really curious about this one.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Courtney recently departed Ames, Iowa for west Texas.

I applied for a position with her this past spring in Iowa and never heard a thing back.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Not to disparrage the place or the people, this is merely what I have gleaned from spending most of the past three decades in West Texas, averaging three or four trips a year there to cover various events.

Lubbock is the most happenin' town for about 300 miles in any direction. Of course, there's not a place with more than 30,000 (and only three close to that size) for more than 100 miles. Amarillo is about 120 miles north and Midland-Odessa is about 120 miles south. Those are the nearest towns of more than 100,000.

The terrain is table-flat and the scenery consists mostly of cotton fields, except when dust storms choke the visibility down to almost nothing. You will also be subjected to nearby feedlots and the accompanying odor.

I have no idea what the nightlife is like these days, but since it is a college town there has to be something going on.

Oh, and this is a Morris paper.

5. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

Well Mr. Pressbox I've got some bad news. I ended up in Lubbock to cover some college sports way back when. No college night life to speak of :-\

6. dm19

dm19 Member

Well, it still beats the places I've worked in the past and am currently working at. Might as well apply.

7. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Did they ever fill the sports editor position after Walker left?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The thread starter is the new sports editor.

9. I believe the venerable George Watson is the sports editor, not sure if interim or not. I believe the following old thread can answer a lot of questions about Lubbock and The A-J in general. Just wondering what had happened to Travis in that beat?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/53818/

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11. I stand corrected. My apologies to Ms. Linehan.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Who was the former writer?

Draft saved Draft deleted