1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Tech T-shirts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txscoop, Oct 8, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Unless you've lived in Texas, many of you don't have a clue of what sports rivalry in the Lone Star State is all about. It's something that I think every sports scribe should experience.
    You can argue the merits of good taste bad taste but no where in this country will you find rivarlies as heated.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My biggest problem with this is that it doesn't make sense.

If they were playing Virginia Tech, I'd think it was a great idea, albeit a tasteless one...

3. boots

boots New Member

Missou. They're college kids. Some joker thought it would be cute and decided to parlay the idea to make a couple of bucks. Tasteless humor abounds. You see it every day here.
    I'm sure there are other colleges where similar stuff has been done related to Vick.
    And you're right, it would've made much more sense if they played Va. Tech.
    But I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't wear that shirt in the Tidewater area of Virginia. You are asking to get your ass kicked if you do.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's a shot at the fact that the Aggies have a dog as a, well I guess you'd call it a mascot. It's stuupid but I knew what they were getting at the minute I saw the shirt.

I will concur with the other members of TexasSportsJournalists.com, A&M and Tech really don't like each other. As an impartial observer I can tell you it's a lot of fun to watch two white-trash fan bases go at each other.

5. Mizzougrad96

I love those rivalry shirts that you see at college games. The more tasteless, the better...

MICHAEL VICK HAS NO CONNECTION TO TEXAS A&M!

6. Armchair_QB

It's all about the dog. If you lived here you'd understand. Like I said, it's stupid but it's Tech so it's not surprising.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think this is where we should start posting the best rivalry T-shirts we've seen, which might be difficult since most of them are made by fraternities.

The Heistman is the best I've ever seen for the 1999 Florida-Florida State game. On the back it said, "It's not like he shot the president." - Bobby Bowden.

I hate both schools, but it's a great shirt.

8. Armchair_QB

Not on a t-shirt but it should be:

"I'd rather be on probation than lose to Baylor"

This was one of the top selling bumper stickers in the TCU bookstore in one of Dan Jenkins' novels.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ok, here's the connection:

1. Michael Vick killed dogs.

2. A&M's "mascot" is a dog.

3. Texas Tech wants to kill dogs (A&M) in a manner similar to which Michel Vick killed them, i.e. to "Vick 'em."

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And in the history of dogs and tasteless humour, this is still, after over 30 years, one of the best magazine covers ever:

[​IMG]

11. Mizzougrad96

It's still not enough... If you don't have the Vick connection it doesn't work.

To say it's a colossal reach would be a huge leap of faith...

12. Mizzougrad96

Are you implying that National Lampoon does comedy better than students in Lubbock? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted