1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Tech recruiting beat opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hackwilson191, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Do you keep up with college recruiting news and know which junior quarterback at a 5A Texas school is on everyone’s radar? Do you like to talk about and debate all of this endlessly?

If we just described you… and you are an experienced journalist, technically savvy and a master of social media, we have a great opportunity for you.

The Avalanche-Journal/AJ Media, in Lubbock, Texas, which covers Texas Tech athletics, is looking for someone to oversee our Tech athletics website… redraiders.com… and provide content for our subscription site, Wreck ‘Em 247… part of the 247 sports network.

Send your resume to: hr@lubbockonline.com.

This is the official ad, but I can answer any questions you may have about the job. Basically, it is a hybrid between the print product and 247 sports and your content would be going into both sections.

We also have this opening for any Texas Tech students that might want some actual real-world experience:

FrenshipToday.com is looking for a part-time sports reporter. The reporter gathers sports content and information for both our digital and print products. You need a flexible schedule and be willing to work nights and weekends. Must have a good understanding of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and fact-checking. You will need reliable transportation and a smartphone. Candidates with a journalism degree or those who are currently studying journalism preferred. Send resume and clips to: hr@lubbockonline.com or apply in person during normal business hours at 710 Avenue J.

2. Zads07

Zads07 Member

So what are the qualifications experience-wise, and is it full-time, etc.?

3. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Aiming to get someone with experience, preferably 1-2 years at a daily paper. But, would consider recent grads if the clips and internships and the like look good. And, yes, it is full-time.

4. BraulioPerez

BraulioPerez New Member

Does this include any beat help with the team or is it 100 percent recruiting?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

6. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Just to update those curious. I am still getting settled into my new job and we are not moving super fast on this job. I am narrowing down candidates now.

7. From Dahntahn

From Dahntahn New Member

Has this position been filled?

8. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

This position has been filled. Daniel Paulling was the hire.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Excellent hire. Paulling will do well there.

10. Thanks for the kind words. I believe my old job, in Paducah, Ky., will be filled soon, so probably not much of a chance for people to apply for it.

11. Tommy Deas

Tommy Deas Member

I second the endorsement of Mr. Paulling as a fine hire. He will do well.

Draft saved Draft deleted