1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas roadtrip advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by roxraidersfan, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, you gotta have koalches for breakfast in Texas.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is a loop that runs around town to the east towards the airport that might cut your time getting through Austin.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

183 takes you so far away from Austin though. If you get through there before 4 PM, you'll be fine.

4. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

Are there toll roads between OKC and the Big Three Texas cities?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not the main interstates. But there are tolled state highways in the Dallas and Houston areas.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

There is a toll that loops around the east of Austin. Think it's Highway 130.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Good call. You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu at Rosarios. And they even have one in the airport there too!

Also, I would like to point out the Alamo is overrated. Walk through it, take pictures or whatever, but don't do the audio tour and don't take much time to see it. Why? Little to nothing of the complex is actually the original building. The history on display is bland and generic. I also felt like I was in the middle of a giant tourist suckhole. That includes the overpriced Ripley's museums next door. While there, though, you might want to jaunt across the street to the Historic Menger Hotel. Just walk through it. It's a sight to behold.

The Riverwalk is like a mall food court, but outside. Also there's no room to walk on the Riverwalk. A definite nightmare with small children.

If you want an alternative to the Riverwalk hit Historic Market Square. Once there grab breakfast at Mi Tierra. The kids will love it.

If you're in San Antonio on a Tuesday, you can't go wrong with a free tour (after 4 p.m.) of the San Antonio Art Museum. I was absolutely floored by the collection. Also they have a must-see sports photography exhibit being displayed throughout the end of the summer.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

*shrugs* It's a really well put together museum. Perhaps I got burned out by all the Kennedy hoopla when I lived in Boston for a while. But it just didn't do anything for me in terms of the "metaphysical" experiences I've seen described in some books and heard about from other. It was just a museum.

Now, I was 15 when I went. That, also, may have a lot to do with my reaction.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Don't speed in Williamson County, the one immediately north of Austin.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Or get caught with wacky tabacky.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's not completed all the way around, unfortunately. It comes to an end and you have to cut back over to 35.

Draft saved Draft deleted