1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas reinstates activities; Bama still screwed up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

Re: Texas, Alabama suspend HS sports

was gonna take a hack at it, but left it because I knew I couldn't do it justice as tired as I am. so thank you, ab, for knocking that one over the wall.

2. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, that crossover is brutal. remember one year my beat had great teams in seemingly everything, so had fall sports heading deep into the playoffs at the same time as spring sports were getting going. in one week I had pretty much every sport the school played active in the same five or six days.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Regional track meets are all but to be reinstated either Thursday and Friday -- waaay too many people complained and the UIL will do something. The rumor is to hold the regional meets the week that state is scheduled -- May 15-16 -- then skip at least a week and either do state the last weekend in May or the first weekend in June. As has been pointed out, UT has graduation the weekend of the 22-23rd so if they wanted to hold it then, it would be somewhere else, maybe Baylor??

4. jps

jps Active Member

baylor wouldn't be bad. not the tradition of those photos with the capitol rotunda in the background, which would be a bummer, though.

but I think that texas tech will be booked that weekend of the 15/16 with the big 12 meet. so they may have to push regionals to the week after that with state going in the last week of may.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I live to serve.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Football game on Aug. 21? I hope you're talking Alaska (which I know starts seasons early for weather reasons) or some place where it's not 100 degrees.

Actually, I think the seasons in the north pace themselves out much better than seasons in the south. Years ago when I was a college SID, our baseball team (deep south) had a game on Super Bowl weekend. Absurd. They'd play 2/3 of their schedule before the end of March, creating a killer overlap --- and less media coverage ---- and then you'd sit inside on pleasant spring afternoons wishing you had a game to staff.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So HE'S in charge of your state's sports....

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

UIL just sent a press release stating they have reinstated the regional track meets (all starting after May 11) and altering the dates of the state track meet to June 5-6.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, that's crazy.

Let the scrambling begin anew.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That puts the state softball tournament in direct conflict with state track, unless they move softball to Tuesday-Thursday.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No, it's in a place where it is 100 degrees (or in the 90s, at least). Of course, for the first month of the season the state association has decreed that games start at 7:30 instead of 7 to lessen the impact of the heat. Like that makes a fucking difference. Instead of 92 degrees it's only 88. Thanks a bunch.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Back in the day, 8 p.m. used to be the de facto kickoff time deep in the hearta', probably for the same reason. But the season didn't start until mid-September. Now the universal time is 7:30 p.m. and the regular season starts the last Friday in August.

That was great when everyone ran the Wing T and games took only two hours, but now that the majority of teams are spread offenses, games routinely stretch past 10:30 p.m. or longer. That is hell on deadlines.

Draft saved Draft deleted