1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas reinstates activities; Bama still screwed up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Re: Texas, Alabama suspend HS sports

With 13,000 U.S. deaths from the "flu" already since January, me thinks we may be overeacting a bit with this Swine Flu situation.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but didn't Nielsen sweeps start a week ago? Perfect timing for local TV operations.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Between the economic crisis affecting state budgets --- and thus less money to pay teachers and forcing classroom days to cut in some places --- and the swine flu outbreak, let's JUST ALL GO HOME!!! Now!!!

We're all overstressed and worn out, anyway. Take 8 months off, come back after christmas and pick up where you left off. No one will know the difference ... or care. So you graduate a year later. Big deal? The same options will be there for you next year as are there now --- and with any luck even better. I graduated at age 16 and have regretted it ever since.

Take a few months off. Relax. Play video games. Collect UI or SSI or food stamps or whatever. Take an extra-long nap (maybe not wake up grouchy). Maybe be then the crisis will have past, the world won't be so damn overpopulated and the economy will be better.

I seriously doubt you will have missed anything important.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Um, why are states holding regional meets the first weekend in May, anyway? Regional meets here aren't for three or four more weeks with the finals on Memorial Day weekend. Baseball and softball stretch into June if you make the semis anyway.

Why are the dates so early?

5. Re: Texas, Alabama suspend HS sports

Why are your dates so late?

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Because it's already hot in Texas this time of year, and it's warm enough to run track/play baseball and softball/play tennis/play golf from about the beginning of February, and because they try to get the state meets/tournaments done at UT before graduation.

State week for tennis, golf and track in Texas is always the second or third week of May, depending on when the calendar rolls over. Baseball and softball last until the end of the month.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think in many southern states it has to do with when graduation is. Here, it's in late May. So golf, tennis and track finals are next week. Baseball finals are in mid-May.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Because they're pacing around, full of self-hatred, wondering why they have stooped so low?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gotcha!!

Weather here can still be pretty foul well into April, making for dicey scheduling. And no one graduates before mid-June, so that's not an issue. Of course, they're not starting school in mid-August, either.

I would hate having to deal with "spring" sports before winter sports wrap up.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Had a friend who finished here college final exams today, April 29. Never heard of a school getting done so early. I graduated June 1, and that was earlier than previous years.

11. Re: Texas, Alabama suspend HS sports

Trefuckingmendous.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That can suck. Our soccer season ends the first week of February, but if a couple of the basketball teams get on a roll it can be a pain in the ass.
    On the bright side, we only have about two months of "summer" to deal with. Our first football game next season is, I believe, Aug. 21. So by late July we'll be getting ready to crank out a football tab.

Draft saved Draft deleted