1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas reinstates activities; Bama still screwed up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Re: Texas suspends all high school interscholastic activities

All regional golf and tennis competition was held last week so there would be time this week for state-mandated testing (a whole different mess since regional meets have been roughly the same time of year for decades while the testing has only been around a few years). The regular softball season was already wrapped up and a lot of districts (mostly smaller schools) finished baseball last week so there wouldn't be any conflicts with the testing. Track, which has seen a drastic drop in participation over the last 20 years or so, is the one sport really getting hammered by this.

One AD I talked to today said he just hopes they can get through it before some parent files a lawsuit and screws things up even more.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Fort Worth school district announced tonight that all of its schools will be closed until May 8 after ONE student at ONE school was diagnosed with swine flu.

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Fort.Worth.Fort.2.997813.html

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

*drastically powering down*

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The UIL can't hold the state meet May 22-23 because that is the weekend of UT's graduation.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Alabama, now in the quarterfinals for Ball sports and finals for track, follows suit...

Pussies...

AHSAA SHUTTING DOWN ATHLETIC EVENTS IMMEDIATELY

MONTGOMERY – Steve Savarese, Executive Director of the Alabama High School Athletic Association, said Thursday night that all AHSAA athletic events would be shut down immediately due to probable cases of swine flu that have shut down three school systems in the Huntsville area.

“Right now, we are being advised by our Medical Advisory Committee to shut down all activities until further notice,” Savarese said. “We hope to be able to resume activities by next Tuesday, but right now we must study the situation and take it one day at a time.”

That means the AHSAA state track and field championships scheduled for May 1-2 at Gulf Shores and Troy will be rescheduled. All other post-season activities scheduled through Monday May 4 are also being postponed until further notice including baseball, soccer, softball and golf.

“This is not something we want to do,” Savarese said. “Right now, we want to be cautious.”

We hope to have everything rescheduled by early next week – as soon as we have more information from the State Department of Health and our Medical Advisory Committee.”

High school athletic activities were shut down in Texas earlier Thursday due to confirmed cases of the swine influenza (H1N1), a type A flu virus, that is affecting the U.S.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What in the nine blue hells was that?

Buncha cowards.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Texas, Alabama suspend HS sports

Typing quickly.. this is going to cost me at least 400 bucks for starters.

8. cubman

cubman Member

I can't say I mind the one-game round at all. Texas drags out its postseasons about a month longer than necessary in most sports ... my God, it's 3 weeks between regional golf and tennis and those state tournaments. Funny enough, though, those are the only sports NOT affected by this delay.
    And I won't get started on having to chase site information for every damn round because nothing is determined in advance.

9. jps

jps Active Member

I think folks agree that the softball/baseball stuff isn't so big a deal. but the track kids are getting royally screwed here.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I thought today was Wednesday, but I've been known to get the day wrong on occasion, too.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They sent a release out to correct the date... I just cut and pasted the original

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Agree. But, hey, at least the privates don't get to play with the publics.

EDIT: For now.

Draft saved Draft deleted