1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas reinstates activities; Bama still screwed up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Re: Texas suspends all high school interscholastic activities

And this suspension of HS sports is stupid and will just increase the panic levels. This is where the ADD media is these days, reporting on whatever high-panic story it can find.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

EVERYBODY PANIC!

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I do it all the time but I get special dispensation because I'm not--at least last time I checked (about ten years ago)-- a journalist.

4. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

Actually, the dates for the state softball and baseball tournaments have not been changed. They stay the same. The rounds leading up to that, however, have been given less amount of time to be played.

Teams used to have a week to play each round and many match-ups actually would be best-of-three series. Due to the altered schedule teams will not be allowed to play series in some rounds because they may have to play two rounds in one week.

Also, anyone see this on the TAPPS Web site?

Swine Flu Notice

The TAPPS office is aware of the UIL announcement regarding suspension of spring sports. The TAPPS executive board is reviewing the situation and will advise as soon as possible the actions TAPPS will take regarding this situation.

In other words, "Uhh...we never even considered this. Let us think about it."

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reading the title of the threa, I thought Texas was going to suspend athletics in preparation for their Second War of Independence.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd like to see TAPPS come out with something like this:

"The people at the UIL are a bunch of reactionary ninnies. We're still playing."

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, my bad.

Hell, this is good for us because they won't be able to do those stupid three-game series.

8. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

I actually like the idea in baseball and softball. If I hear another coach of a heavily favored team whine about not getting the timely hits I'll, well...nevermind.

But if the underdog team has to beat them twice it gives the better team a better chance to advance even if it's not getting all the key hits.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It ain't 200 degrees in the shade in mid-June in most states.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

do we get to pick the part of the state?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The state track meet is going to be the clusterest of clusterfucks. And goddammit, they squeezed our vacations even more. The baseball state tournament was already mid-June. Now it'll be the end of the month.

And the swine flu isn't magically going away on May 11, folks.

Of all the stuff the UIL has pulled in the past (and to be fair, real UIL boners are few and far between), this takes the cake.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's my question. What is so magical about May 11? Is the next response to cancel the state meet?

Draft saved Draft deleted