1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas realignment: Why the fuss?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Feb 1, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

East Texas schools don't have it as bad as those in the west, but sometimes you'll see schools in New Caney playing district opponents way the hell out in Crosby or worse. Hell, Conroe schools had to freaking play Lufkin in district. WTF?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Did Fernando Valenzuela finally get the contract he wanted?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When I was in high school, the longest trip we had was 7 miles to downtown Seattle.
    Texas is an insane, insane place.

Here is a fun fact box I saw online for District 2-5A (which includes schools from Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa, Midland and San Angelo):

A Long, Long Road

Amarillo to Lubbock: 118 miles
    Amarillo to Midland: 237 miles
    Amarillo to Odessa: 258 miles
    Amarillo to San Angelo: 300 miles
    Lubbock to Midland: 117 miles
    Lubbock to Odessa: 140 miles
    Lubbock to San Angelo: 182 miles
    Midland to Odessa: 22 miles
    Midland to San Angelo: 111 miles
    Odessa to San Angelo: 131 miles

Source: Rand McNally Road Atlas

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I feel your pain. I was at the airport this morning at 8:30 a.m. to get a packet and do interviews. Now I'm at the office and just finished my second realignment story and still have to write a notes package. All of that would be fine, but I have to cover a basketball doubleheader starting at 6 p.m. as well.
    Not a fun day.
    Couldn't the UIL have released this on a Wednesday?

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

When I was a West Texas SE, this story was always huge. I enjoyed getting some great good-ol'-boy quotes from the coaches who would be faced with the longest drives.

I remember Presdio HS being truly fucked: 294 miles to district opponent Seminole, 261 miles to Greenwood. Fort Stockton, a measly 152 miles to the north, was Presidio's CLOSEST district opponent. Often, Presidio would play one of the Permian Basin schools twice at Fort Stockton rather than schedule a home-and-home. It's tough being a 3A high school where the sidewalk ends.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Presidio dropped to 2A in this realignment and is in a district with Alpine (86 miles), Crane (206 miles), Kermit (210 miles), Big Lake Reagan County (245 miles), Ozona (259 miles) and Sonora (294 miles!).

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

And a thousand margaritas and Carta Blancas are hoisted to the sky in gratitude. They'll be thrilled about the easy hour-and-a-half drive up to Alpine. The roasted chicken and tortillas from dinner will still be warm when they get home. I bet a lot of kids' grades get better, too.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The happiest man in Texas today is my publisher. Our longest trip in district got cut from 130 miles to about 35.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Oh, damn.

For those curious, the Little SWC is no more. Cooper falls to 4A, Abilene High sent to the Metroplex.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From Midland Reporter-Telegram:

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's kinda sad. the little swc was where legends were built.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so it really didn't change that much?

Draft saved Draft deleted