1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Passes Law Allowing Christmas At Schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It doesn't sound like you believe there is a 'God' who created the Earth.
    You have the option to believe what you want to believe and have every right to think whatever.
    But the people who fight the "war to keep God from disappearing" from Americana don't see any of their efforts as amusing.
    They never find themselves equating 'God' with Mr. Rogers.
    And there is an 'our country' aspect since we've evolved to our current pussified/dumbed-down/political existence as a nation here.
    At the end of the day it's whether you believe or whether you a.) don't believe or b.) don't know for sure or c.) don't care

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that is your right, but your faith has no place in a public school.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They're not fighting to keep 'God' in Americana; they're fighting to keep THEIR God in Americana.

And nobody else's.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

well the Pilgrims didn't exactly have Christmas parties in elementary schools. . . or anywhere else

http://theweek.com/article/index/222676/when-americans-banned-christmas

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

How dare you use things like facts and history to argue that a good Christian holiday hasn't always been revered by our country?!?! Pinko communist!!!

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I love how people cannot talk about Christmas, but why do schools close for two weeks? You can't talk about it, but we give you a two-week break for it.

It would be a lot easier if we could be tolerant of others rather than screaming at others.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

From reading the story, it doesn't sound like God is involved at all -- just the peripheral stuff, "as long as they do not include a 'message that encourages adherence to a particular religion's belief.' "

8. outofplace

War on Christmas! Grrr! How dare they ask us to keep our religion out of the schools! It's only one of the principles this country was founded upon. How intolerant!

9. outofplace

Christmas is a religious holiday. I know some people forget that, but it is. It is amazing how far some people will reach for an excuse to ignore the separation of church and state without giving any real thought to why it is there.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Christmas CAN be a religious holiday, but it doesn't have to be. Most of what we celebrate as Christmas traditions are rooted in pagan festivals that were co-opted by the early church to become "Christian" holidays.

To me, if you take the Nativity out of the holiday, it becomes more secular and less a Christian holiday. Frankly, I don't see anything particularly Christian about Santa Claus and Christmas trees, and I don't have a problem with celebrating those aspects of the holiday. However, this seems to be a compromise that eludes the extremes on both sides in this debate.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Every public school system I've dealt with, in three states, has also been off for Good Friday.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are allowed to teach religion in school, you just cannot preach religion in schools.

1. Christianity is based upon God and his son Jesus who lived a little over 2000 years ago in the Middle Eastern part of the world.

2. Those who do do not follow Jesus and God will never go to heaven.

One is kosher (pun intended). One is not.

Draft saved Draft deleted