1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Passes Law Allowing Christmas At Schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wrong. This law specifically protects Christian and Jewish expressions of faith. Sure, "other" religions can apply for protection under the law, but they are not covered as is.

If this law says anything other than "your celebration of this holiday is none of our fucking business," it's endorsing religion.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I suspect he may have meant *aren't* graduating high school.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

On the whole "banning red or green" topic:
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/12/07/todd-starnes-of-fox-news-lies-again-a-texas-school-did-not-ban-christmas-trees-and-the-colors-red-green/
    http://www.friscoisd.org/news/2013/12/05/holidays-in-schools

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The easiest problems to solve are usually the ones that don't exist.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank G-d I don't live in Texas.

This is a disgrace, but not a surprise, and I look forward to seeing it go to court.

Any situation that bans Christmas songs should ban all religious songs, and that includes anything related to Chanukah or Kwanza or whatever other holiday fits in there.

That said, Christmas does not belong in the schools. I don't care how commercialized it has become, it is a religious holiday and we are supposed to have a separation of church and state in this country.

I know some of you, Mizzou in particular, are whining about the rules getting in the way of their fun. I'd wager you aren't a member of one of the faiths that does not celebrate Christmas. I went to a private school for three years and no, the Christmas crap was not fun for me as a Jewish kid. I've experienced the divisions it can cause first-hand. My 10-year-old daughter already has to put up with idiotic comments and allowing more faith into the schools would only make it worse. And no, the token menorah surrounded by the trappings of Christmas does not help.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

According to this group, there are almost 37,000 homeless people in Texas.

http://www.homelesshouston.org/coalition-faq/how-many-people-are-homeless-in-texas/

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Merry XMas to them, and Allahu Akbar too!!!

8. Yes ...

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never liked the idea of Christmas in school. I much preferred to be at home or at the grandparents' house.

But the political correctness associated with all of this is just silly. We can celebrate all sorts of other nonsense, but not Christmas?

Christmas should be for everyone, not just followers of a particular religion.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

We pray to start off most events in our school district where I teach here in San Antonio.

'Christmas parties/themes/events in elementary schools' is a concept that's been around since the pilgrims came here.
    I might like seeing us do away with the parties, but all the other stuff I'm good with.
    I do believe there's a supreme creator who values my allegiance.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As my very irreverant son says, "Happy Saturnalia to all, and to all a good night!"

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So many of the people I grew up with seem to buy into the idea that the "war on Christmas" is real. It matters a great deal to them that you say "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy holidays."
    Saying the Pledge of Allegiance complete with "One nation under God" and the "In God we trust" on our money is a very big deal to them.
    What I find amusing about all this is that none of these people struck me as being overly pious when we were younger. I guess people can change. My life is, after all, very different from theirs and maybe when you get older and have kids (which I do not) the "God and country" stuff doesn't seem as hokey is it did when you were younger.
    What bothers me is that the sentiment behind this war on Christmas nonsense seems to be more "This is OUR country and don't you forget it." than anything else.
    Maybe I've confused God and Jesus for Mr. Rogers, but that doesn't seem very Christian to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted