1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Passes Law Allowing Christmas At Schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Dec 10, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://news.msn.com/us/texas-law-safeguards-christmas-cheer-in-schools

First, let me say I abhor political correctness (I think it should be given another moniker for what it has become, for starters. Plus, it has gotten out of hand, but I digress.....). But second, to pass a law, in my mind, could lead to letting religious conservatives to get away with stuff they blast the P.C. crowd for. Or it could be I just don't have much holiday spirit. But I found this interesting.

Have at.....

Try not to get it locked.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

We were discussing the whole Christmas issue in the office last night.

School in Nebraska bans wearing red and green during the Christmas season. Never mind that the ban applies to something that has taken on a secular meaning as far as Christmas goes, not a religious one.

Jehovah's Witnesses, who are Christians, do not celebrate Christmas. Their reasoning is rooted, in part, on what they read in the Bible about Jesus wanting people to remember his death and resurrection, not his birth. What happens when a Texas lawmarker tells a Jehovah's Witness he has no choice but to celebrate Christmas in violation of his religious beliefs about Christianity?

Many people on both sides of this issue -- politicians in particular -- don't know about Christmas as much as they think they do.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

With the law allowing, well nigh requiring other religions get their piece in, I look forward to the understanding reactions when a Muslim family asked for Eid decorations.

(As an aside, the most enthusiastic picture-takers during my kids' elementary school winter pageant, which lays on the Christmas pretty think, are Muslim mothers.)

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This law will be bounced by the courts somewhere out to Central America, but the fact Christmas has morphed into both a sacred and utterly secular holiday confounds Christian, non-Christian and non-religious Americans alike.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's reached the point where I don't blame them for doing this.

I've sat through "Winter Programs" where they sing Hannukah Songs, Kwaanza songs, but there's no direct mention of Christmas or Santa in any of the songs. People are wellwithin their right to sing about Jewish holidays or something like that, but if it mentions Christmas or Jesus or Santa, it's not allowed.

I have no problem with them singing about every holiday out there, but when they're discouraging kids from saying Merry Christmas and not being allowed to put up pictures of Christmas Trees and Santa Claus, it just takes the fun out of the whole holiday. There was the school a couple years ago that altered the words to Frosty or Jingle Bells to take out a Santa or a direct Christmas reference.

I love this time of year. I hate when people take the fun out of it.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Although with 54 percent of my kids' elementary school population considered low-income, it might be cruel (for the parents) to put up pictures of Santa Claus with the promise he'll get you whatever you want.

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The Santa stuff is an example of how people know little about the origins of Christmas. Name one book of faith rooted in religion that mentions Santa Claus.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Welcome to capitalism!

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The law's "unit of analysis" (for lack of a better term) is the individual, not the school, so the idea that someone can say "You celebrated Christmas, now you have to celebrate (insert non-Christmas holiday here)" is, to my admittedly untrained eye, pretty far afield.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Good thing we have separation of church and state in America.

Wait, what?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Story says people can now say "Merry Christmas" without fear of punishment. Did that possibility of punishment exist previously? Not sure that "Merry Christmas" is a punishable offense.

Regarding decorations, I thought everything that went up (and stayed up) was considered to be endorsed by the school. So I don't see how that flies.

I love not living in Texas.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The best holiday decoration I have ever seen was at my wife's first school. The other second-grade teacher, fresh from the sorority house, put up a display titled, "Me Got 'em Smart Tribe."

Draft saved Draft deleted