1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Monthly's Gary Cartwright to take on "the sorry state of sports writing."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by finishthehat, Apr 22, 2009.

1. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Re: Texas Monthly's Gary Cartwright to take on "the sorry state of sports writin

We might be OK here. Maybe he forgets what he's writing about halfway through the article and ends up talking about how much he hates anything from after 1960.

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Re: Texas Monthly's Gary Cartwright to take on "the sorry state of sports writin

Doubt it. As a Texas Monthly subcriber, I read all his stuff, and it's really good. I don't know how old he is, but he's still got a hell of a fastball and he ain't afraid to bring it high and hard.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

She ask for you; I yell "CARTWRIGHT?!"; no one answer; I hang up.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Bought my copy of Cartwright's Confessions in, oh, '87 or so. He wasn't washed-up then nor is he now. I think he surfaced occasionally in Sport in the early 70s when it was a great alternative to SI (which would be unrecognizable to readers these days). GC's The Death of the Marlboro Man always stuck with me. Ditto a piece on Jack Ruby. He can write about anything ... never got the feeling that he felt like he was slumming in sports.

o-<

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hope it'll be less about the quality of writing and more about the sorry state of the industry in general. I would be very disappointed if he threw the writers themselves under the bus.

I read Texas Monthly every time I get a FUCKING HAIRCUT while I'm waiting. So I don't subscribe. It's a good mag, and D Magazine is very similar.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cartwright is terrific - that collection mentioned earlier in this thread is outstanding and should be required reading.

I get Texas Monthly. Love their stuff. I tell The Queen I get it to peruse the ads for huge ranches in the back. Big ranches in Texas, something we unemplo *** uh, self-employed folks think about all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted