1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Monthly's Gary Cartwright to take on "the sorry state of sports writing."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by finishthehat, Apr 22, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Texas Monthly subscribers get an e-mail letter from the editor talking about the issue that's just come out, and usually there's a PS on what the next issue will contain.

This edition included this:

-----------------------
    NEXT MONTH

Senior editor Pamela Colloff's story of teenagers, sex, and murder in East Texas; senior editor Katy Vine's profile of the most fabulous Dallas party planner ever; senior editor Gary Cartwright's screed on the sorry state of sports writing; and an indispensable guide to summer weekend trips, from beaches to dude ranches.
    ------------------------

Just passing it on.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Sweet, a screed. Sould be informative. And I'm a big fan of Texas Monthly, but that description doesn't sound promising, or any different than every other rant and screed I've read about the supposed sorry state of sportswriting.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is he related to Ben?

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Cartwright's good. Have posted here before that he got his start as a sportswriter in the 50s on the legendary old Fort Worth Press staff that included Blackie Sherrod, Dan Jenkins, Bud Shrake, Tex Maule, etc. Wrote a book in the early 80s called "Confessions of a Washed-up Sportswriter" that has some great stories. Will be interesting to see what he has to say.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't necessarily mean he's going to bash sportswriters. I'm a huge fan of Texas Monthly so I'll go into it with high hopes.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I've read Cartwright's stuff on a variety of issues over the years. He is very talented. Texas Monthly is a worthwhile read most of the time.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What the fuck's a screed?

8. i laughed

strip of plaster, apparently

he's going to write a strip of plaster about sports writers

screed
       /skrid/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [skreed] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. a long discourse or essay, esp. a diatribe.
    2. an informal letter, account, or other piece of writing.
    3. Building Trades.
    a. a strip of plaster or wood applied to a surface to be plastered to serve as a guide for making a true surface.
    b. a wooden strip serving as a guide for making a true level surface on a concrete pavement or the like.
    c. a board or metal strip dragged across a freshly poured concrete slab to give it its proper level.
    4. British Dialect. a fragment or shred, as of cloth.
    5. Scot.
    a. a tear or rip, esp. in cloth.
    b. a drinking bout.
    –verb (used with object),

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Will the screed be available on a blog?

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Glad I got a subscription to Texas Monthly.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I was thinking it should be 5b

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Prediction: this will not end well. Someone who started in the 50s (and must be in his 70s or 80s by now) discussing why all the newbies in the field suck. I'm depressed already and haven't even read it yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted