1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Monthly on the death of sportswriting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 12, 2009.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

well played.

2. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Loved this post _ Icepick makes my Hall of Fame. This post struck me as better than any single pearl from the fossilized Cartwright and his musty musings. From now on, with full and appreciative attribution to Icepick, my answer to anything that needs a response shall be: "...lest we all be wearing capes..."

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Cheap and unnecessary shots at Bohls and Golden.

Both are public figures and totally open for criticism, but I don't see what's accomplished by highlighting them as the worst of the bunch. Like any columnists, they have hits and misses. They are prolific writers in a smaller market with the demands of one much bigger and deserve credit for that.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think the snipe at Kirk was particularly unfair: "His only opinion seems to be to fire the coach."

I don't think he's called for a firing since John Mackovic in 1997. I'd say Bohls was on the right side of history there.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Nice.

I would never claim to know Blackie Sherrod, but I was working in the DMN newsroom when he was at the sports desk, and he didn't strike me as someone who took himself as seriously as Cartwright seems to do here.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Besides, Being John Mackovic was destined for bigger things at UA.

7. Jeff Wallner

Jeff Wallner Member

"No one under 50 reads newspapers". Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Why do people keep saying this?

The New York Times is a newspaper, whether you're reading it at the lunch counter or at newyorktimes.com. It's the same product.

More people than ever are reading newspapers. That includes the youngsters.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Little pet peeve of mine, and I know it has little to do with Poz ... but the overuse of "The Curious Case of XXXX" ever since that movie came out is killing me. Lazy. Unoriginal. Try something else.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It was indeed Groover, Moddy. The Groover Gobblers, I believe.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oh, back to the column at hand. Don't like it much, don't like the tone.

Sports sections and writers not having as much fun as they used to? Some truth to that, I'm afraid.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rickie Ron and Dickie Don?

Ain't nothing in the whole wide world ***

12. He thinks that we should all dress up in capes and call ourselves something like the Flying Burrito Brothers.

We didn't do that, but we had plenty of fun on my beat. Plenty. Too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted